Saturday, May 4, 2024

Vigil spreads awareness of domestic abuse

Deena Tyler, a member of the domestic violence support poetry group Survivin' & Thrivin', reads a poem Tuesday night at the Peoples Church of East Lansing, 200 W. Grand River Ave., as part of the candlelight vigil for domestic violence and abuse. The group, made up of three survivors, plans to read on Nov. 4 at Gone Wired Café in Lansing.

In remembrance of domestic violence victims, words of empowerment, survival and forgiveness were spoken as flames flickered before people's eyes during a candlelight vigil on Tuesday night.

The event featured Amy Krause, Lansing District Court judge, and a group of three domestic violence survivors, called Surviving and Thriving, who recited poetry about their experiences.

"Raising community awareness helps people think about domestic violence," Krause said

She added that many people are not targets of it but still encouraged people to help.

The candlelight vigil was held this month because it is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Becky Spizarny, a kinesiology senior, said she attended the event because she did not know much about domestic violence.

"I really enjoyed the judge's speech," Spizarny said.

"She reached out and let people know that there are people to talk to and want to help out."

Domestic violence is a pattern of violent behavior, which can be emotional, physical, sexual and isolation, said Erica Schmittdiel, advocacy coordinator for MSU Safe Place.

MSU Safe Place is a service for MSU students, faculty, staff, retirees or their partners and children who are in abusive relationships or those who are experiencing any type of domestic violence.

Schmittdiel said the center provides counselors, support groups, advocacy and shelter to domestic violence victims on an individual basis.

"The person does not have to be sheltered for help," Schmittdiel said.

"It is up to them what level of service they want. We find out what they need and go from there."

Although there does not seem to be an increase in the number of people who are seeking help from MSU Safe Place officials, it does not mean it is not occurring, Schmittdiel said.

She added that the facility shelters about 100 women and children every year.

People who have experienced abuse tend not to report it for various reasons, including embarrassment, Schmittdiel said.

They feel like they are at fault and are afraid to tell others because of what their abuser could do to them, she also added.

MSU Safe Place shelters and counsels men as well, however, women tend to be the victims in most cases, Schmittdiel said.

Victims of abuse are affected mentally and physically and can have their everyday routines greatly impacted, she said.

For example, a student might not go to class because of a large bruise on his or her body that cannot be easily hidden.

"It can be very hard to concentrate on what they are supposed to be doing when you have other tasks going on in your life," Schmittdiel said.

"Some people lose their jobs because of it — they are not showing up to work or coming in late," she said.

"Abusers want them to lose their job because it is a form of isolation. Then they can control them more with finances, and they can't tell their coworkers what is going on."

Ashley Eberbach, 22, from California, said she was visiting friends and had never been to a vigil before.

Eberbach said she was not truly aware of how domestic violence affects people because she has never been affected personally.

"I feel like I have been naive," she said. "This really brought things to light."

Hayley Roberts, professional writing senior, attended the event because she is interested in women's issues.

"Everyone says they know about domestic violence, but the stories really hit close to home," Roberts said.

She added that events like the vigil bring out the reality of what is going on around people and makes them see action needs to be taken.

During the event, a woman told her daughter's story about her struggle with domestic violence.

Her story struck Roberts the most, she said.

"It was not expected and not rehearsed," Roberts said.

"It makes you realize more about what is going on and makes you wonder what is going to come out of it."

Liza Rios, a volunteer for End Violent Encounters, said events such as the candlelight vigil, which helps to raise public awareness of an issue such as domestic violence.

"This way, people don't feel like they are alone," Rios said.

"They know they can talk to somebody and get information, knowledge, help and there are people that care."

For more information about domestic violence or to get help, contact MSU Safe Place at (517) 355-1100. Someone is always available 24 hours.

Share and discuss “Vigil spreads awareness of domestic abuse” on social media.