Friday, May 17, 2024

Student makes ninja finals

Colin Bell trains with weights at Planet Rock in Ann Arbor for the G4 American Ninja Challenge competition Wednesday evening. The first round of judging in based on online videos submitted. The top three finalists get to compete in Los Angeles, and the winner is then sent to compete in Japan. Bell is currently tied for first place.

Hundreds of hopeful athletes sent videos to compete in the first G4 American Ninja Challenge, but only 10 finalists were chosen.

The videos demonstrated their strength and agility in ways ranging from gymnastic gym equipment to scaling brick buildings.

Among the athletes is Colin Bell, an economics junior who started rock climbing about seven years ago, when his sister took him to Planet Rock, 82 Aprill Drive, located in Ann Arbor.

He never thought his love of rock climbing could result in the chance to compete in Ninja Warrior, which Bell said is the most difficult obstacle course in the world, and is designed for Olympic-level athletes

Finalists’ videos were posted online and the top three competitors will be determined by online votes. Voting ends Sunday, and the winners will fly to Los Angeles to compete in a live taping of “Attack of the Show!” – the G4 series that served as the idea for the competition.

G4 is a television network for those interested in video games.

The winner will represent the United States at Ninja Warrior in Japan.

Coleman Frick, a friend of Bell’s, agreed to shoot his video after seeing “Attack of the Show.”

“Lots of people told him he’d be perfect for the show before the contest even started,” Frick said.

Competitors include Olympic athletes and others with similar experience to Bell.

“I really hope I can prove myself,” Bell said. “Competing against athletes that good at anything has always been a dream of mine, and now I can actually do it.”

Bell and Frick worked on the video for about three weeks and all video footage except four stunts were lost. Almost everything had to be done in about four hours the Saturday before the tape was due, Frick said.

“It was hectic,” Bell said. “I was obviously really tired … but it was pretty exciting, too. My heart was pounding because I didn’t know if we’d get it done in time. I was full of adrenaline.”

The two were able to finish on time. His video included scaling parking structures, climbing rafters in a skeleton of a house and climbing underneath a bridge across the Huron River in Ann Arbor, Frick said.

Bell’s construction job has helped him train for the competition.

“I’m pretty fortunate because work is like training,” he said. “It seems to me that I’m the one who’s doing all the heavy lifting and all the physical work.”

Bell uses lifting objects as an opportunity to practice his gripping strength. When lifting an object, he often tries to pick it up in a more difficult way, he said.

In addition to grip strength, climbing is about lifting one’s own body weight, Bell said, adding that he weighs 143 pounds.

He tries to work out for at least an hour every day. His training includes climbing at Planet Rock, running, bicycling and playing soccer, he said.

Bell’s friends are confident he will do well if he is chosen for the competition in Los Angeles.

“I always knew he was in good shape and was into the rock climbing thing, but … to see him climbing on rafters and doing flips off walls, I was blown away,” said Nick Yribar, an Ann Arbor resident and Bell’s friend since middle school.

“If he’s able to go (to Los Angeles), I have no doubt in my mind that he’ll win it.”

Share and discuss “Student makes ninja finals” on social media.