ASMSU vice chairman arraigned for aggravated assault

Nigel Scarlett, ASMSU Student Assembly vice chairperson for external affairs, was charged with aggravated assault on Aug. 31.

Scarlett said he entered a not guilty plea at the 54-B District Court in East Lansing — though court records indicate a guilty plea was entered.

He is scheduled for a Sept. 19 pre-trial hearing at East Lansing’s District Court.

Scarlett is accused of assaulting a 26-year-old on July 5 in the area enclosed by Grand River Avenue, Albert Avenue, M.A.C. Avenue and Abbott Road.

A police report obtained from East Lansing police said the victim accused Scarlett of pushing him to the ground and punching him several times when he tried to stand up.

According to the report, the victim said the incident was prompted by an argument over a piece of garbage.

Scarlett waived his Miranda rights at the time of arrest, the report stated. He told the responding officer that the victim pushed him first and came up swinging after he pushed the victim in retaliation, according to the report.

In the report, Scarlett said he and the victim were then involved in a wrestling match, from which he received a small cut to the right side of his lip.

A witness to the incident told police that Scarlett left the scene when he was notified that the police were called, the report said.

Scarlett was arrested later that morning at his West McDonel Hall dorm room and was given a preliminary breath test, which registered his blood alcohol level at 0.10 percent, the report said.

The victim had a laceration on his chin that appeared to require stitches, the report stated.

Scarlett declined to comment about the case Thursday, stating he needed to speak with his attorney.

The victim also declined to comment.

Scarlett has held the position of Student Assembly’s vice chairperson for external affairs since February.

Share and discuss “ASMSU vice chairman arraigned for aggravated assault ” on social media.