Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Board of Trustees meeting preview

The MSU Board of Trustees will convene on Oct. 26 to discuss construction projects, endowment funds and the progress of the new medical facility in Grand Rapids.

Construction

The board will vote on the approval of five projects, three of them involving athletics.

Already in the building phase, the Trustee Finance Committee is recommending the project budget for the Duffy Daugherty Building expansion be increased from $14.6 million to $17.6 million to account for the George and Sally Perles Plaza and weight room expansion.

“When that opportunity came on, my wife and I jumped at it,” Trustee George Perles said. “Duffy was like another father to me. To have a building next to his building with our name on it is something special.”

There are also proposed projects for a $3.5 million MSU Shooting Sports Education and Training Center, renovations to Old College Field and $12.5 million renovations for Mary Mayo Hall. The construction at Mary Mayo will include security enhancement, a new elevator, asbestos abatement, lighting upgrades, flooring and ceiling replacement and exterior repair.

Funding

Three action items could provide the university with more than $300,000 in endowments, scholarships and programs if the board approves the recommendations.

In the College of Social Science, more than $30,000 will help fund the Einar and Patricia Hardin Scholarship Fund, named after the former social science professor. The program aids graduate students with assistantships within the School of Labor and Industrial Relations, Sarah Blom, director of development for the College of Social Science said.

“Oftentimes, they’re working for the director of the school or the faculty,” Blom said. “It’s doing administrative work or supplementing some of the classroom experience and occasionally some research.

Also, the WKAR/Broadcasting services would receive $250,000 to support the general operations of the WKAR Radio Talking Book.

Medical School

After the scheduled board meeting Friday morning, administrators will gather at the J.W. Marriott Hotel in Grand Rapids to celebrate the progress of the new medical school in West Michigan.

At the morning meeting, the board will be asked to officially purchase the real property located at 445 Michigan St. in Grand Rapids for $950,000. The .38 acre property will be an addition to the 1.5 acres previously purchased.

“People wanted it to be a signature building and that costs a lot of money,” MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said. “We have a design for the building that works for the space. The building is a statement for West Michigan and from MSU.”

A final cost estimation and plans for the medical facility will be shown Friday afternoon.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees meeting preview” on social media.