Sunday, May 5, 2024

Eco-friendly gas station good move for E.L.

It’s the place you go for a late-night beer run. It’s where you finally drag yourself to buy groceries after staring at an empty fridge for two weeks. And now, it’s the place you can go for eco-friendly fuel.

That’s right, supermarket mogul Meijer Inc. plans to build an environmentally-friendly gas station on West Lake Lansing Road.

Good for them.

Meijer has tried to build this gas station in the past, but has failed because of the many complaints from surrounding neighborhoods. This time Meijer’s proposal has a twist, with plans to not only offer alternative fuels but also to be built to the high standards of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED.

According to LEED’s Web site, their projects are designed solely for environmental health. Therefore this gas station will be built based on water savings and energy efficiency with each building material specifically approved by LEED.

It’s nice to see the corporation is recognizing the importance of supplying biofuels, yet it’s difficult not to question how many cars in the area will really be using these eco-friendly options.

BP stations have already taken action in providing these alternative fueling methods, and now Meijer is only a step behind.

Meijer hopes for the gas station to double as a 24-hour convenience store, which is questionable to nearby residents who probably aren’t too excited about the late-night business the store will most likely attract. Although the neighbors might not like the hours, there are definite advantages to places that are open around the clock.

It’s great that Meijer is thinking environmentally while planning to build this gas station. As more places supply alternative fuel, hopefully the sales for environmentally friendly cars also will start to rise. If these new developments could possibly spark a driver’s decision to purchase ethanol-fuel based vehicles, then this is an exciting opportunity to get the ball rolling. Unfortunately, if this proposal is received like the ones of the past, it will most likely be turned down because of complaining neighbors.

This is where different voices need to be heard, and you’ve been given an opportunity to participate in the discussion. The East Lansing City Council will hold a public hearing at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 7, at 54-B District Court. This event follows Election Day and is when the new City Council will discuss the proposal.

Most likely, the majority of those who show up to the meeting will be individuals whose everyday lives will be impacted because they live in the nearby neighborhoods. While their concerns should be heard and are important to the discussion, city officials need to keep in mind all positive aspects of this project — including its recommendation from both the Commission on the Environment and the Transportation Commission as well as its potentially positive environmental impact.

This single gas station won’t be making a huge change in the local economy, but it’s a small step that points it in the right direction in terms of thinking environmentally, which needs to happen more often.

Share and discuss “Eco-friendly gas station good move for E.L.” on social media.