Innovations: Veterinarian studies animal genetic diseases

Ewart

It was her love of horses as a child that left Susan Ewart knowing what she wanted to do in life — become a veterinarian.

“I was a very horse-enthusiastic girl. I’ve come a long way since then,” Ewart said.

After graduating from Johns Hopkins University with a doctorate in philosophy in 1994, Ewart began veterinary work at MSU, doing her equine residency and eventually earned a doctorate in veterinary medicine in 1987.

Her work as a researcher involves studying the genetic susceptibility of diseases in animals. This means the tendency for a disease to run in the family and be passed down through generations.

“I’m a vet, and I got into genetic susceptibility by treating race horses and respiratory problems seemed to be blamed. That led me into respiratory disease studies,” Ewart said.

Ewart is collaborating with Texas A&M University and a group in Sweden to find the genetic susceptibility to an eye disease in horses, called anterior segment dysgenesis, by trying to find the gene that causes it.

As the studies continue, the possibility of making a breakthrough discovery is what Ewart said makes her research worthwhile.

“Making a new discovery is like uncovering a piece of the puzzle. We’re all contributing one or two pieces of the puzzle. When you get a piece, it’s rewarding,” Ewart said.

Share and discuss “Innovations: Veterinarian studies animal genetic diseases” on social media.