Lerg learning to balance scoring with leadership as team captain

Lerg

Senior forward Bryan Lerg said it’s always been his dream to be captain.

Now, it’s reality.

Lerg will serve as captain of the MSU hockey team for the 2007-08 season.

“Last year we had a unanimous pick in that locker room in Chris Lawrence and Bryan was this year,” MSU head coach Rick Comley said. “It’s a big responsibility for him. This year’s situation is a little different in that we have very high expectations for Bryan the individual. Not only must he fill the role of a good captain, he’s got to be productive too.”

Lerg said he’s learned a lot from the three captains he’s served under – Jim Slater, Drew Miller and Lawrence.

“I think I can lead this team in the right direction,” he said.

“I’m really happy to be named captain, and I have a lot of good assistants helping me out.”

Serving under Lerg will be senior Chris Mueller and juniors Justin Abdelkader, Tim Kennedy and Jeff Lerg.

Lerg is already confident in his team heading into what should be a tough year.

“It’s going to be another tight year,” he said. “I have a lot of faith in our team, and I know with all the hard work I’ve seen so far, it’s going to be a good season.”

Lerg tallied 23 goals and 13 assists last season, but the biggest statistic was his eight game-winning goals.

“I’ve got to be there at the right, I have to put the puck in the net,” Lerg said. “Between those top two lines, there’s a lot of points. Those are the two lines that need to put the puck in the net at the right time. When it comes down to crunch time, you have to be the leader on and off the ice.”

New ‘do

Lerg showed up at media day with a new look. Over the summer, he cut his traditional curly hair in favor of a more conservative look.

“I just woke up and it was gone,” he joked. “I just woke up one morning and had enough. It hadn’t been cut in four years.”

But the new style won’t last too long, as he said he plans on letting it grow once again.

A little family research – or just consulting Bryan’s cousin Jeff – revealed that this is the way Bryan grew his hair for much of his youth.

“I grew up playing with him for nine years and ever one of his team pictures was nice, trim hair like that,” Jeff Lerg said.

“It’ll flow out. He goes in stages like that.”

Early on

MSU will play its annual Green & White game Sunday at 2 p.m., before its only exhibition contest of the season at 7 p.m., Tuesday against Windsor.

The national championship banner will be raised prior to the Spartans’ home opener against Colgate on Oct. 19.

Share and discuss “Lerg learning to balance scoring with leadership as team captain” on social media.