New Facebook tool helps MSU students connect to classmates

As Matt Lempke labored through Calculus II problems earlier this semester, he found himself stuck.

Lempke, a chemical engineering freshman, logged onto Facebook.com and used the “Courses” application on the Web site to find a classmate for help.

The application allows users to add the classes they’re taking to a listing on a school network, like MSU.

With the aid of the application, available at apps.facebook.com/courses, Lempke found a study buddy in Andrew Space, a premedical freshman.

“It’s been very helpful,” Lempke said of finding Space. “Calculus II is a pretty intense class, which really caught me by surprise. In Calculus I, I was the guy that never had to study and aced everything.”

Once a user has listed his or her classes on the application, classmates and professors can join the class group and make announcements, start a discussion board or video chat room, or pass a “secret note” message to another classmate.

Inigral Inc., a Web site development company based in Palo Alto, Calif., designed the application when Facebook removed their original courses feature and opened up the social networking Web site to outside developers in May.

The application includes an option for users to display their class schedule on their Facebook profile.

Inigral Inc. chairman Michael Staton said the company is open to student input on other additions his company could make to the application.

“We haven’t created most of what’s possible, so we’re definitely open to feedback,” he said, adding that students can send a message to the company through the application.

Staton said the company is already looking at a way for students to integrate their extracurricular activities into their visual schedule and to help students plan future schedules around what friends are taking.

Space said that while the application helped his classmate find him, he hopes professors also will get involved with using the application.

“It would be nice to be able to have another way to get a hold of my professor and ask them a question,” he said.

One of the features of the application ranks the number of students who use the application in university networks. As of Sunday evening, MSU was six students short of the University of Michigan for second place.

While the application has only been around for a few months, Staton is hopeful it will continue to improve.

“I think there’s a potential there for this to become something really useful for users,” he said.

Share and discuss “New Facebook tool helps MSU students connect to classmates” on social media.