Student reports being assaulted twice on single night in dorm room

MSU police are looking into two reported assaults of the same victim over an almost eight-hour span Sunday, one of which involved a handgun.

An 18-year-old student told police that her ex-boyfriend confronted her outside her East Holmes Hall dorm room and pointed a handgun at her head. After threatening her, he left the room.

The victim also told police she was sexually assaulted that morning when an unknown suspect entered her dorm room and groped her. She was transported to a local hospital, treated and released following the assault.

Police are investigating whether the same suspect is responsible for the two assaults.

The victim said the handgun was small and black with a wooden handgrip.

Both incidents occurred sometime between 2:55 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., although police said they could not narrow down the exact time each assault took place.

Anyone with information about the incident is being asked to call MSU police at (517) 355-2222.

MSU police distributed a report of the incident to members of the MSU community Monday, the second such e-mail in the past five days.

East Holmes Hall resident Danielle Johnson said she heard about the incident through the police e-mail and is concerned about the lack of security in the dorm.

“I don’t know who it happened to, and it didn’t affect me directly, but there’s no way that you can tell if somebody has brought in a knife or a gun or anything,” the premedical freshman said.

Lyman Briggs freshman Brittany Hunter, a dorm resident, said hall officials contacted her regarding the assaults prior to the police e-mail.

She said the assaults won’t keep her from remaining social on the floor during the day but will make her even more aware of locking her door at night.

“I still feel safe in the dorms, and because of that, when we’re here, we’ll still keep our doors unlocked,” Hunter said.

Share and discuss “Student reports being assaulted twice on single night in dorm room” on social media.