Council work session in review

A new project proposed by city officials could help foster the growth of art-related businesses in downtown East Lansing.

Using funds contributed to the city in August to start its new Downtown Entrepreneurship Program, officials proposed a plan that would financially support an “Artist Co-Op” in the vacant store located at 325 Grove St.

The city’s Department of Planning and Community Development presented the proposal to the East Lansing City Council during Tuesday’s work session at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

If passed, the Artist Co-Op would lease the store and sublease it to low- and moderate-income artists or entrepreneurs in the city.

This project would enhance the arts and culture in the community, senior project manager Lori Mullins said.

“We believe that supporting arts and culture is good for the economic development of the entire downtown,” she said.

The Artist Co-Op, which would be located adjacent to Woven Art, would have space for about six different artist studios, Mullins said.

Those who financially qualify for the Artist Co-Op would receive financial assistance. Businesses with five or fewer employees would be eligible to receive a maximum of $6,000 in grants and loans, and other small businesses seeking expansion could receive up to $15,000 in total funding.

When appropriate, a formal project proposal will be submitted to the Planning Commission before being submitted back to the City Council for vote.

The Downtown Entrepreneurship Program was created to enhance the business climate downtown by supporting entrepreneurship in a variety of forms.

Also during the meeting, the City Council provided a resolution of support for a proposal drafted by the Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, to study the Michigan Avenue and Grand River Avenue Corridor from the Capitol building in Lansing to Marsh Road in Meridian Township.

The study, which will receive funding assistance from the Michigan Department of Transportation, would explore ways to address traffic, parking and safety issues in the corridor.

Share and discuss “Council work session in review” on social media.