Sunday, May 5, 2024

Only legally married couples deserve benefits

In 2004, a majority of Michigan voters voted to define marriage as between a man and a woman. Now, the homosexual support groups are lobbying for public employers to provide health care insurance for domestic partners. My question to those on the editorial board is this: If we start allowing people to carry whomever they want on their health insurance, where is it going to stop?

Let’s say we have two roommates. One has a full-time job with amazing health benefits. The other also has a job but no benefits. They are in a committed “friend” relationship. Should the one friend be allowed to carry his roommate on his insurance? Is their relationship any less personal than that of a homosexual couple or a married couple for that matter?

Or, let’s say a man has several wives, which is not considered a legal union under current statutes. Should he be allowed to carry all three of his wives on his health insurance policy? Is his relationship with these three women any less personal or valuable than the relationship between homosexual couples?

Since I am a student, I am covered under my parents’ health insurance. But if I drop below 12 credits, I am refused benefits, even though I have nowhere else to turn for coverage. My parents aren’t even allowed to carry me on their health insurance without limitations. Is my relationship with my parents less valuable than that of a homosexual couple?

Do people really want to be in the business of placing value on relationships?

The fact is health insurance benefits should only be allowed between legally married couples. If you are going to make an exception for one group, then exceptions need to be made for all groups.

Jessica Byrom

international relations junior

Share and discuss “Only legally married couples deserve benefits” on social media.