Icers shut out Ohio State

Sophomore defender Ryan Turek prepares for Ohio State University Buckeye Nick Biondo while Spartan junior goaltender Jeff Lerg waits in the back during the first period of the Spartans second match against the Buckeyes on Saturday. Lerg was able to block all of the Buckeyes shots on goal throughout the game while his teammates were able to score four goals in the 4-0 shut-out.

Columbus, Ohio – It was a four point weekend for the No. 7 MSU hockey team which blanked the Buckeyes 4-0.

Saturday’s shutout victory was the Spartans first sweep since defeating Ferris State in early December in a home and home series. It was MSU’s fifth sweep of the season and its third on the road.

Junior goaltender Jeff Lerg earned his first shutout since defeating Lake Superior Jan. 20, 2007, 4-0 – almost exactly one year ago.

“I’m thrilled for Jeff,” MSU head coach Rick Comley said. “He certainly deserves it. He’s had so many taken away.”

Junior forward Justin Abdelkader scored two goals in the third period, which was his first two-game goal of the season.

“You’ve got to look at yourself in the mirror,” senior forward Chris Mueller said. “We did what we had to do to get the job done in the third period. We’re still chasing people in this league.

“We’re trying to set up … against Michigan next weekend.”

Abdelkader scored three third period goals on the weekend.

Within the first five minutes of the game, MSU had seven shots on goal. Shortly after the Buckeyes’ Mathieu Picard picked up a two-minute minor for boarding, junior forward Matt Schepke scored a backhand power play goal – putting the Spartans up 1-0.

MSU then proceeded to pick up five straight penalties, however, the Spartans were strong defensively and have now killed 28 straight penalties in the past seven games.

“We definitely did a good job on the penalty kill,” Lerg said. “They had a lot of opportunities power play wise, but they never had any good chances. All of their shots were from the point, and our guys did a good job of boxing out.”

It wasn’t until the third period the game picked up in tempo. Twenty-eight seconds into the period, Abdelkader scored his first goal of the game assisted by freshman forward Corey Tropp and junior forward Tim Kennedy. A few minutes later, Abdelkader would score his second goal on the power play, and Kennedy would earn his second assist.

Mueller scored his sixth goal of the season from the top of the circle, however, play went on for 42 seconds before the goal went under review. The go ahead goal put MSU up by four.

The Spartans hope to bring this winning momentum with them as they head to Ann Arbor to take on No. 1 Michigan. The puck drops at 7:35 p.m.

Share and discuss “Icers shut out Ohio State” on social media.