Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Robberies, e-mail spam scheme keep police busy during break

East Lansing was hit with two robberies and was one source of an international e-mail scam during winter break.

Here’s a recap of the incidents.

Burger King robbed

Meridian Township police are investigating a Dec. 6 robbery that occurred at about 11 p.m. at an Okemos Burger King.

A suspect entered the restaurant, 2010 W. Grand River Ave., and forced the employees to open cash registers and a safe. No one was injured.

The suspect is male, 5-feet-10-inches tall, thin and wore a black coat and dark colored pants, according to a press release from the police.

Video store robbed

A suspect robbed E.L. Video, 3498 Lake Lansing Road, at about 11 p.m. Dec. 18 at gunpoint and escaped with an undisclosed amount of money.

After the suspect fled the scene, an East Lansing police K-9 unit tracked him to a nearby area where he fled in a vehicle.

No one was hurt.

The suspect is described as a 6-foot-tall male, about 190 pounds and between 20 and 30 years old, according to a release from East Lansing police.

East Lansing police are investigating the incident.

Spam scam smashed

An East Lansing woman was among 11 people named in an indictment released Thursday for her involvement in an e-mail spam scheme.

Judy Devenow was arraigned Thursday in a Detroit U.S. District Court after collecting at least $2.69 million from selling Chinese stocks at inflated prices.

Devenow, 55, was charged with computer fraud, mail fraud, wire fraud, fraud in connection with electronic mail and conspiracy. She was released on a $10,000 bond.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Robberies, e-mail spam scheme keep police busy during break” on social media.