Monday, April 29, 2024

2 MSU music students face charges for local break-ins

Two MSU College of Music students face up to 35 years in prison after being charged in connection with several local break-ins if convicted.

Michael Rieg, 31, and Simeon Stoyanov, 28, were arraigned Sunday on two counts of home invasion, one count of attempted home invasion and one count of possession of burglary tools.

The two men were arrested Saturday for breaking into an unoccupied house at about 6:05 a.m. in the Whitehills Lakes neighborhood on Park Lake Road, north of Lake Lansing Road.

Police responded to a call from a resident who reported a suspicious vehicle parked in the neighborhood and a sounding home alarm in the same area, Meridian Township police Sgt. Greg Frenger said.

Frenger said Rieg and Stoyanov were leaving the neighborhood when police arrived at the scene. Police made contact with the two men and arrested them.

Rieg and Stoyanov were released Sunday from the Ingham County Jail on $30,000 and $35,000 bonds, respectively.

Frenger said the men also are connected to Saturday’s home invasion, a home invasion in early January that occurred in the Shaker Heights neighborhood and another attempted home invasion.

Frenger was unable to indicate the date and location of the attempted home invasion.

Police also suspect Rieg and Stoyanov are linked to several other reported home invasions in the past month.

Meridian Township police recovered several stolen items from the two men, including a big screen TV, a microwave and a toaster reported stolen in the two confirmed home invasions, Frenger said. The total estimated value of the items is between $5,000 and $7,000.

Police also recovered a crow bar from the suspects that Frenger said could have been used to force open the doors of the houses.

Frenger said Rieg and Stoyanov targeted homes with unplowed driveways where it seemed no one was home.

He said it rarely occurs that police handle reports of forced-entry break-ins in Meridian Township.

Meridian Township police are continuing to investigate links between the two men and other invasions to determine if additional charges could be filed.

Share and discuss “2 MSU music students face charges for local break-ins” on social media.