African nations in peril need U.S. leadership

It shouldn’t take another full-scale genocide to pay attention.

And the current administration shouldn’t take all the time in the world to do the right thing — especially when it comes to Kenya and Darfur. Africa has had its fair share of bloodshed and violence, especially along the eastern portion of the continent where Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia and Sudan are located.

Similar to the rivalries among religious factions in the Middle East, clashes in many of these countries involve different tribes. These tensions, some of which started to fester in the days of European colonization, have grown for decades before finally erupting. Disputes have been sparked by political control, land ownership and social ills including poverty and corruption.

Credited as one of the worst instances of genocide in recent history, about 800,000 people were killed in Rwanda between April and July of 1994. Extremist members of the Hutu tribe, which make up the majority of the population, set out to eliminate the Tutsi people — a historically influential group — among others. Violence has been nonstop in Kenya after President Mwai Kibaki was re-elected in late December, despite opponents’ claims of an unfair election. The president is a member of the Kikuyu tribe, a majority in the population — the tribes of his major opponents include the Kalenjins and Lou. So far the death toll has reached more than 1,000 and about 300,000 people have been displaced.

Unrest in Darfur has recently received international attention as many fear another Rwanda-type massacre. Starting in 2003, groups in the Darfur region have been in conflict with a brutal militia group that’s been connected to the Sudanese government. According to the United Nations, about 200,000 people in Darfur have died. More than 2 million are displaced.

In many of these areas, the United Nations and other peace-keeping organizations are attempting to bring aid and diplomacy.

But as President George W. Bush visited Rwanda on Tuesday, part of a multicountry tour in Africa, he announced the international community needs to be more involved in helping quell violence in the region.

But we’re really in no position to chide the world for their inaction.

For years, the Bush administration has only alluded to its position regarding the genocide in Darfur and the conflicts in other African countries simply to escape any criticism of apathy. As he read the reports of the 1994 genocide in Rwanda and the lack of initiative taken during former President Bill Clinton’s time, Bush famously penned “not on my watch” in the margins.

This week, Bush pledged $100 million for training and equipment — making a total of about $700 million so far — which will be used for peace keeping efforts in Darfur. Most U.S. effort has been focused on the Middle East, leaving few resources for other purposes. Wars against terrorism are partly to blame for our country’s diminished clout within the international community.

When more than 200,000 have died already, now’s not the time for politics. We need more money and more diplomacy. And it needs to start with the U.S.

Share and discuss “African nations in peril need U.S. leadership” on social media.