'Fight-for-it attitude' has Robinson near full health

Robinson

Sophomore gymnast Rochelle Robinson had a rough start to her season this year.

After a bad dismount from the balance beam, Robinson suffered a high ankle sprain and some torn ligaments that took her of the floor for two months during her fall conditioning.

Robinson, who has been a gymnast since she was about 4 years old, has had injuries to her ankle in the past but nothing quite so serious.

“I’ve never had a setback, I’ve never had to stop,” she said. “I’ve never had to work so hard to get everything back. That was the hardest part of this injury.”

Throughout high school, Robinson was a multisport athlete, playing volleyball and softball as well as gymnastics.

She had suffered a high ankle sprain before, but was able to work through the injury and win a few national titles, such as the Junior Olympic National vault title in 2004 and 2006. Her dedication to the sport captured the attention of coaches at MSU.

“Knowing she had won a couple national championships, that’s enticing for a coach,” head coach Kathie Klages said. “She’s powerful and dynamic as an athlete. We were anxious to get ahold of her.”

Because Klages knew Robinson was such a powerful athlete, she said it was difficult to watch her struggle through such a serious injury.

“In the beginning it was frustrating,” Klages said. “She would do a tumble and then be too sore the next day to do it again. The hardest thing is not (being able to get) in enough repetitions to make her feel safe in a routine. We’ve needed to help her adapt some skills so she takes less abuse on her ankles.”

Associate head coach Randy Lane said Robinson’s determination to return to her full potential so quickly is both good and bad.

“One of her most valuable assets is her strength, but along with that is her stubbornness,” Lane said. “She’s the type of athlete that wants it now. It’s such an easy sport for her that it becomes difficult because she wants it all now.”

The rehabilitation process has paid off, though, most likely because of what Lane refers to as Robinson’s “fight-for-it attitude.”

The last few competitions have left her mainly restricted to the balance beam and vault, but Robinson said she thinks she can return to her position as an all-arounder and compete in all four events within the next two or three weeks.

The return to all-arounder status has been tough for Robinson, Lane said, not only because of the physical challenge, but also the mental aspect of the competition.

Klages said she has noticed an improvement in Robinson’s attitude and overall performance as she prepares to return to the floor exercise event.

“We’ve gotten her to show off more on the floor and look at it as a performance, not just a competitive routine,” Klages said.

Robinson’s coaches are confident that once she regains her all-arounder position there will be little holding her back.

“I think Rochelle Robinson could win a national championship on the vault or the floor,” Lane said.

“I would like to see her end her career here on a high note.”

And while her coaches agree on her individual abilities, Klages said Robinson’s support for her team also is valuable.

“She’s capable of rallying this team to focus on qualifying for national championships,” Klages said.

In the meantime, Robinson is still training to return to the floor exercise competition, an event she says is her favorite.

“I personally like that it’s all eyes on you,” Robinson said. “It’s the spotlight thing I enjoy.”

Share and discuss “'Fight-for-it attitude' has Robinson near full health” on social media.