Monday, April 29, 2024

Mourning friends call Ziomek kind, considerate

Ziomek

To casual acquaintances, Dennis Ziomek was the friendly, smart classmate you wished you knew more about.

But to close friends, the earth science junior was a loyal person who would do anything to help out a friend, including skipping class to pick them up when their car broke down or taking care of them when they were ill.

“I had been sick with bronchitis and he was trying to help me out and would call and make sure I was OK,” said Heather Stewart, a zoology junior and friend of Ziomek. “He would make me chicken noodle soup because it always made him feel better.”

Ziomek’s body was found Wednesday in his Spartan Village apartment. After noticing Ziomek had been lying on the couch for several days with his apartment door open, a nearby resident called MSU police, who discovered his body.

Police are still awaiting test results from the Ingham County Medical Examiner but have ruled out foul play.

Friends described Ziomek as a warmhearted, selfless person whose kind nature was not only reserved for friends.

“He was not the type of person that if you looked like you needed help would pass you by, whether he knew you or not,” said Liz Duermit, a zoology senior and friend of Ziomek.

Duermit and Stewart became friends with Ziomek after taking an honors option class with him this past semester. Soon, Ziomek became a regular at Stewart’s weekly game night.

Stewart said she grew concerned when Ziomek didn’t show up for the weekly gathering. After he failed to answer text messages and phone calls, she knew something was wrong.

“He’s one of those guys that if you text him once he’ll text message you back seven times to confirm and reconfirm,” she said. “It was so bizarre.”

Friends said Ziomek was passionate about meteorology. He aspired to become a storm chaser and invent an instrument to predict when tornadoes would occur.

“It was his dream to inform people about storms and how to keep safe,” Stewart said.

A diabetic with a taste for Mountain Dew, Ziomek would strictly reject cookies and candy so he could indulge in an occasional can of soda. He also was a movie buff, a trait he had tried to share with his friends.

“He loved comedy so he would quote movies all the time,” Stewart said. “He loved ‘The Simpsons’ and he was trying to get me into ‘The Naked Gun’ series. He would bring over movies and we’d watch them together.”

Duermit said she hopes others will remember Ziomek’s caring nature. The time lapse that took place before Ziomek’s body was discovered should be a lesson to people to take more of an interest in others’ well-being, she said.

“The way he was found … I don’t think Dennis would’ve let that happen,” she said.

Ziomek’s family members could not be reached for comment.

Visitation will be from 2-9 p.m. Monday at Wm. Sullivan and Son Funeral Home in Utica. There will be another visitation from 9-9:30 a.m. Tuesday at St. Rene Goupil Catholic Church in Sterling Heights. The funeral service will immediately follow the visitation.

Share and discuss “Mourning friends call Ziomek kind, considerate” on social media.