MSU judicial board training practices under review

Clyde Martin III is not new to the university’s judicial system.

But after Martin and several judicial board candidates were unable to answer exactly how guilt or innocence is determined by MSU’s judicial system, ASMSU officials began to question the way candidates are trained.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

If the preponderance of evidence overcomes an individual’s presumed innocence in a disciplinary case, the individual is guilty. The preponderance of evidence refers to evidence that is more convincing or credible, according to the Spartan Life Handbook.

“That’s obviously something that should be abundantly clear after going through training if the training is proper,” said Michael Leahy, ASMSU student assembly chairperson.

Martin, a criminal justice and political science and pre-law senior, sat on a residence hall judicial board for two years before joining the all-university student judiciary system.

“I would welcome any kind of assistance,” Martin said. “If they can offer any new learning, I would welcome that offer.”

Juan Carlos Elizalde, Student Assembly vice chairperson for internal affairs, Elizabeth Gorz, director of Student Defenders, and Leahy are creating a training package they hope will be used in future training sessions.

The Department of Student Life is responsible for training candidates, but Leahy said ASMSU would like to be involved.

“We want to be there the first day so we can watch the training,” Leahy said. “We can make sure it’s accurate and covering what it needs to cover, but also we can supplement it with additional programs of our own.”

Elizalde said ASMSU will consider providing additional training for recently approved candidates later this semester.

“I think we will avoid more problems if we do the training right now,” Elizalde said.

Denise Maybank, associate vice president for student affairs and services, said although Student Life is not against offering additional training to board members, no changes will be made until the judicial system is reviewed.

“It’s a matter of getting through the review process and doing things in a thoughtful, planned way,” Maybank said.

Share and discuss “MSU judicial board training practices under review ” on social media.