MSU College of Law picks school's first female dean

Joan Howarth

The MSU College of Law has selected the first woman dean in its 117-year history, bringing stability to a school that has been without a permanent dean for about a year.

Joan Howarth, associate dean at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas William S. Boyd School of Law, said Wednesday she accepted the position. The hiring must be approved by the law school’s board of trustees, which is expected to vote within the week.

“The College of Law has an outstanding tradition of training lawyers for any kind of practice,” Howarth said. “It will be very exciting to build on that tradition and take advantage of all the possibilities open for interdisciplinary studies.”

Howarth’s four years of experience in her previous position put her highest on the law school’s list of three candidates, MSU provost Kim Wilcox said.

“She’s got the perfect mix of experience and talent to help us move forward,” Wilcox said.

Howarth’s hiring concludes a five-month search that will replace Acting Dean Clifford Thompson. Thompson filled the position in February 2007 following the resignation of former Dean Terence L. Blackburn in July 2006.

Howarth said it was a special honor being the first woman dean in the school’s history.

Her appointment would be a groundbreaking event, said MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon.

“It’s always gratifying to be part of a past-breaking appointment,” Simon said. “(Howarth) has the potential to be one of the best deans of the law college in its history.”

Although Howarth would start in July, Thompson said he will keep his position to help facilitate the transition until his contract expires Aug. 24.

The presence of a new dean indicates stability and a sense of focus for the college, said first-year law student Scott Lachman.

Lachman said he was impressed with Howarth when he attended the school’s question-and-answer sessions with potential dean candidates in January.

“I think Dean Howarth is someone who’s going to be able to relate to and unite both staff and students,” Lachman said. “Dean Howarth has a vision for our school, and I’m sure she’ll do whatever it takes to improve it.”

A new dean means a fresh start for the law school, Wilcox said.

“Anytime you have a new dean, it’s a new era,” he said. “(Howarth is) arriving with a sense that the best years of the law school are ahead of it.”

Joseph Calhoun, president of the MSU Student Bar Association, said he also was pleased with the hire.

“I was impressed with Howarth’s command of the issues relating to the position of dean and the challenges and opportunities she will face at Michigan State,” Calhoun said. “I am excited for the leadership Howarth will provide as our law school strengthens its affiliation with MSU.”

The law school and Howarth’s plans are to more fully integrate the law college into MSU, Wilcox said.

“Again, what she has is the vision to appreciate the potential of stronger and more sustaining connections between the college and the university,” he said. “Howarth (comes to us looking to) find ways to help the law college connect to the campus, which will be good for MSU and the law college as well.”

Howarth said the students were what drew her to the school.

“I’m excited to meet more of them, work with them and build the law college with them,” Howarth said.

“I was impressed by the enthusiasm that the law students have for both law and the law school.”

Share and discuss “MSU College of Law picks school's first female dean” on social media.