SN style

Advertising junior Zaneta Patterson said her scarf, which is a yard long, “only takes a second” to wrap around her head.

Photo by Hannah Engelson | The State News

The stylin’ student Zaneta Patterson, advertising junior

Her story Patterson is a member of the Nation of Gods and Earths, or Five Percenters, which she says is a way of life, not a religion. It was founded 43 years ago in Harlem and teaches truths about religion and the origins of people.

Patterson’s clothing is a part of that belief system — she wears a head wrap every day because the Bible says a woman should have her hair covered and wearing it shows her obedience to God.

Women represent Earth, and since three-fourths of the Earth is covered with water, she tends to wear loose, flowing clothing that covers three-fourths of her body to represent that. She calls it “rocking her three-fourths.” However, she said now when she chooses to shop for clothing it’s harder to find appropriate clothing.

Patterson also believes women should dress in a respectable manner even though some people may see it as frumpy or old-fashioned. Here she’s wearing an ankle-length brown dress from Wet Seal, a turquoise American Apparel tank top underneath and a tan button-down shirt from Charlotte Russe, along with knee-high leather boots and bright, dangling earrings and necklace to match.

“I can still look fly and look refined,” Patterson said. “I’m definitely not a grandma.”

Share and discuss “SN style” on social media.