Monday, April 29, 2024

Spartans not expecting vacation up North

Freshman forward Corey Tropp skates with the puck during the weekend series against the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks. Tropp tallied a goal and had two assists against the Mavericks.

MSU head coach Rick Comley spent 26 years behind the bench of Northern Michigan’s hockey team.

After leaving the Wildcats’ program nearly six years ago, Comley heads back to his old stomping grounds in Marquette for the first time this season with a new team and a national championship under his belt.

Earlier this season, the Wildcats had an eight-game winless streak, with five of those games having been lost at home. Northern Michigan has not won a game against MSU since Oct. 23, 2004.

The No. 6 Spartans swept the Wildcats in their first two meetings back in October at Munn Ice Arena, but don’t expect the team to dominate this weekend series, Comley warns.

“It’s really tough to beat someone four times,” Comley said.

“We have such a challenge ahead of us in becoming a consistent hockey team that plays the right way. Until we can do that, I don’t consider us a serious threat for anything — until you can become a team with an identity (and) that plays with a purpose.”

Changing the lineup and strengthening defensively are going to be key elements and examples of what it takes to become that threat, he added.

Senior captain Bryan Lerg, who was named CCHA Offensive Player of the Week on Monday, said Northern Michigan’s work ethic makes the team tough to play.

“They’ll throw pucks at the net from anywhere,” Lerg said. “I don’t think they have any total standout players that will shock you, but all around their team (plays) pretty well. Overall, I think it’ll be tough with the crowd that they’re going to bring and with the rivalry they have, especially with (Comley) there.”

Lerg earned the CCHA honor after tallying three goals and two assists in the Nebraska-Omaha split series last weekend. Now, he has the team’s longest point-scoring streak at six games with five goals and five assists for 10 points.

Roomy rink

Because the Wildcats play on Olympic-sized ice, which is fairly larger than a regulation rink, the Spartans have more ground to cover. But that shouldn’t bother play too much, Lerg said.

“For myself, I think, it’s to my advantage,” he said. “I do pretty well on bigger ice sheets, but for some guys it could hurt them if they’re not great skaters.”

For junior goaltender Jeff Lerg, his defensemen will have the largest adjustments to make before stepping onto Northern Michigan’s ice.

“(They’ll be shooting from) ... different angles because it’s a little bit wider,” Jeff Lerg said. “Adapting to it, one skate and you’re back into it. (It’s) not really too much different. The shots are a little further out by the hash marks. You get a little bit more time to react.”

Fresh freshmen

Freshmen forwards Corey Tropp and Andrew Rowe chipped in for the Spartans’ split weekend series with Nebraska-Omaha.

On Friday, Tropp had one goal and two assists. Rowe scored on Saturday after playing with Bryan Lerg and junior forward Tim Crowder. The Rowe-Crowder-Lerg line combined for all four goals and six assists in Saturday’s win over Nebraska-Omaha.

“Going from not even in the lineup on Friday to the second line with Lerg and Crowder, it was a shock,” Rowe said. “I was surprised. They’re great players, and (Coach) said play how you play, play smart and you’ll be fine.

“You work hard to get a spot. Practice is our only opportunity to get into the lineup, so it’s really important to always work hard and always be smart. Always be attentive and listen to coach and what he has to say.”

The Spartans take on the Wildcats at 7:35 p.m. on both Friday and Saturday in Marquette.

Share and discuss “Spartans not expecting vacation up North” on social media.