Spartans sweep Broncos

Senior right wing Chris Mueller is hugged by senior captain Brian Lerg during the third period after scoring his second goal of Saturday’s game against Western Michigan. Lerg also had a goal during the first period.

Kalamazoo — First it was Yost, and then there was Lawson Ice Arena.

MSU hockey team’s seniors successfully broke the curse that was Western Michigan’s ice sheet in their 4-2 victory over the Broncos on Saturday.

The win left a sweet taste in the mouths of the Spartans who have struggled as of late.

In a 180-degree turnaround from being swept last weekend, the Spartans gained four much-needed points, winning both games in the Western Michigan weekend series, which happened to be on Hockey Day in Michigan.

“It’s a relief, obviously,” MSU head coach Rick Comley said. “They were a dangerous team for us to play emotionally. We were 2-10-1 in this building. The seniors got a win, and that’s what they wanted to accomplish right now, so we’re pleased.”

Senior captain Bryan Lerg put the Spartans on the board first, redirecting senior defenseman Jeff Dunne’s shot from the blueline on the power play about five minutes into the first period.

“I just think our guys stuck it out, and I think that’s what we had to do to get a sweep,” Lerg said.

“Everyone stepped up and played. ... (We) just kept playing as a team.”

The Spartans “have their hands full” with the upcoming Michigan series next weekend, but the team can use this positive momentum to gear up for the top-ranked Wolverines.

“I don’t think we needed it to get up for (Michigan) because it’s Michigan,” senior forward Chris Mueller said. “But as far as feeling good about ourselves and getting on track and doing what we have to do to win games in tough places like this, I think it’ll help us big time and go a long way.”

Mueller tallied two goals for the Spartans — again netting an empty-net goal to seal the victory. He had three goals on the weekend.

MSU takes on U-M on Friday at Munn Ice Arena at 8:05 p.m. The two squads head to Joe Louis Arena in Detroit on Saturday.

Share and discuss “Spartans sweep Broncos” on social media.