Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Mich. primary revote unlikely because of time, money barriers

Despite a proposed plan to hold a privately funded June 3 Democratic primary, many questions remain about time, technicalities and where the money to fund it would come from, political analysts said Sunday.

The proposed scenario, which is being discussed in Lansing and Washington, D.C., would require the Democratic Party to provide funds for a new primary.

However, no legislation has been drafted.

Mark Grebner, a political consultant with East Lansing-based Practical Political Consulting Inc., said there isn’t enough time to craft a second primary election. With a two-week recess beginning Thursday, Grebner said it will be too difficult for the state Legislature to negotiate bipartisan bills that would change state laws.

“This will fail. We don’t know exactly how, but we all know this will fail,” he said. “This topic is over. This is history. This has already not happened.”

Conversely, Benjamin Kleinerman, an assistant professor at James Madison College and a national election expert, said he believes the state will inevitably hold another vote.

“My feeling is if people want it to happen, it will end up happening,” he said.

Rep. Mark Meadows, D-East Lansing, said he supports holding a second primary, but he doubts there is enough time to conduct one.

He said the state most likely needs 90 days to finalize election preparations, meaning Michigan already needs to have election funds.

While the state soon could pass legislation authorizing a second primary, Meadows said that doesn’t mean it will have the money to follow through.

“Where does that money come from?” he said. “It’s not going to be easy to find because people are spending money on individual campaigns now.”

Kleinerman said the Democratic Party and state legislators will push for a second primary because the repercussions of not holding a revote are too great.

“I think the worry is if nothing is done, it will hurt the Democratic Party in the general election in a state like Florida and Michigan, which are critical states in the general election,” he said.

“Some polls say if those states’ delegates aren’t seated at convention, it could have an adverse effect on the party in the election.”

The details and time aren’t all that pose obstacles to a new primary, Grebner said.

While many media outlets and legislators have said another election would cost about $10 million, Grebner said the actual check will be more than $20 million.

Other factors that could increase the cost include time spent on the election by township and county clerks and bringing people in to work the polls, Meadows said.

Another problem, Grebner said, is whether people who voted in the Republican primary Jan. 15 will be allowed to vote. Current law prohibits the state from disseminating voting records.

“I’m telling you right now there’s no plan to get from point A to B to C to D,” he said. “It’s basically like a sham. It’s not a genuine proposal.”

Share and discuss “Mich. primary revote unlikely because of time, money barriers” on social media.