Convictions clash under the big top

Animal rights groups, circus argue for proper animal treatment as Royal Hanneford Circus entertains crowd at Breslin Center

James Hall, left, receives kisses from one of his Syrian bears as his wife, Tepa Hall, shows off Zuzu the bear walking on her front paws. James Hall first began working with bears at the age of 13 when he had to raise two abandoned bears. The Halls have been working with bears for more than 30 years.

This weekend, bears walked, danced and even rode bicycles across the floor of Breslin Center as part of the Royal Hanneford Circus. To some, the bears epitomized the image of what a circus is about — a couple of hours of wholesome family fun, dazzling acrobatic stunts and sensational animal acts. To others, the animals represented a capitalist culture gone haywire, where animal rights and morals are carelessly discarded in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Both sides of the spectrum were on display this weekend, each battling to make their voices loudest. Mitch Goldsmith, social relations and policy freshman and events coordinator for Students Promoting Animal Rights, or SPAR, said the circus is an old-fashioned tradition that promotes animal cruelty. Goldsmith said the government agrees. Royal Hanneford, he said, has previously been cited by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for several offenses.

“Failure to provide veterinary care, failure to provide adequate space for animals, failure to give records, failure to treat the tuberculosis of elephants,” Goldsmith said.

“The list goes on.”

Because the circus is profitable, Goldsmith said, the mistreatment will continue.

“They feel like the animals aren’t important to them,” he said. “They feel it’s justified.”

But Ed Purchis, who’s been involved with bringing the circus to the Lansing area for almost four decades, said USDA citations were given, but not because trainers were acting cruel, and accusations of abuse are “flat out wrong.”

“Where is their source? Ours is personal experience with these animals and people over the years,” he said. “These people are getting their information off the Internet.”

Purchis is secretary of treasury for the Caravan Circus, a Lansing-area nonprofit organization that contracts with Royal Hanneford.

In the 37 years he’s been involved with Caravan Circus, Purchis said he’s never witnessed any acts of cruelty or violence toward any of the animals Royal Hanneford uses, including tigers, dogs, bears, elephants and kangaroos.

“In our experience with the Hannefords, they maintain a very safe environment for animals,” Purchis said.

“All animals are fed, watered, groomed, cleaned on a daily basis. The animal trainers use food rewards and praise in training, there’s an ongoing medical staff, there’s always veterinarians on call.”

While Goldsmith said the Internet has been a source for SPAR, he said it’s produced some compelling evidence against Royal Hanneford.

A video from 1999, available on YouTube.com, shows elephant trainer Tim Frisco, who Royal Hanneford has previously contracted, using hooks to strike squealing elephants during training and encouraging other trainers to “make them scream.”

“(Frisco) said to rip their heads off,” Goldsmith said. “He beat the elephants, and proof is online.”

Purchis and representatives from Royal Hanneford declined to comment regarding the video.

Purchis stressed that Caravan Circus is completely nonprofit, and has raised in excess of $1 million for local charities in 27 years, which this year included the Masonic Learning Centers for Dyslexic Children and Boys & Girls Club of Lansing.

“It’s a circus with a purpose, and it gives back to the community,” he said.

“If we don’t have animal acts, our customers don’t come.”

Goldsmith said the circus was hiding behind the charities in order to justify the animal abuse.

“We applaud any support for children’s charities, but not at the animals’ expense,” he said.

For the most part, the spectators attending the circus this weekend said they didn’t see any signs of animal cruelty, and were mostly focused on entertainment for their family.

“I thought it would be great for (my son) to see the clowns, the animals,” said Sara McKone, an East Lansing resident. “(The animals) looked like they were being treated fine. I didn’t really see a problem.”

Lansing resident Ricardo Muniz attended the circus with his wife, daughter and granddaughter.

“I’ve never seen more beautiful animals,” he said. “From what I see and hear, it looks to me these animals are well cared for, and I think they go above and beyond.

“There’s a lot of love between the trainers and the animals. I noticed that right away.”

Share and discuss “Convictions clash under the big top” on social media.