Smoke-free restaurants, bars a logical step for Mich.

I support House Bill 4163, legislation that could make all workplaces smoke-free, including bars and restaurants. As a college student, I like to go to local bars and restaurants to enjoy myself. I do not appreciate the overbearing, indiscreet stink of cigarette smoke on dry-clean-only clothing that cannot be dispelled by a douse of perfume. Nor do I appreciate having to inhale clouds of secondhand smoke.

The time is now for Michigan to join the 30 other smoke-free states and pass comprehensive smoke-free workplace legislation for the protection of all Michigan employees.

Many businesses make the mistake of believing they will lose business if they were to adopt the practices of this campaign by making their bars and restaurants smoke-free. The opposite is in fact true. For example, restaurant sales in Florida went up 7 percent one year after its smoke-free law went into effect.

I have faith that the people of Michigan are dedicated, hard working and determined to get results. It’s time we band together and demand a change in the air. Please encourage our state senators to pass House Bill 4163 to help make Michigan air smoke-free!

Megan Joy

communication senior

Share and discuss “Smoke-free restaurants, bars a logical step for Mich.” on social media.