Monday, April 29, 2024

Spartans advance to WNIT finals after beating North Carolina State

Sophomore guard Mandy Piechowski, left, and junior guard Mia Johnson celebrate a foul called on North Carolina State guard Sharnise Beal during the first half of the game Wednesday at Breslin Center. Johnson led the Spartans to a 58-57 victory with a total of 17 points.

Considering the MSU women’s basketball team’s habit of pulling out last-minute wins, its new theme song might as well be the Bee Gees’ “Stayin’ Alive.”

After a tie score at halftime, the Spartans made every moment count in the second half of their 58-57 win against North Carolina State in the WNIT semifinal Wednesday night at Breslin Center.

The one-point victory puts the Spartans into the WNIT championship game — a place they’ve never been.

Now 10-1 in games decided by five points or less, it’s become second nature for the team to be in limbo for the entire 40-minute game.

The lead changed three times in the last minute, with sophomore center Allyssa DeHaan fighting under the net to score the final two baskets for the Spartans to seal the win.

“We talk about making plays, and we don’t always play well, but there were some pretty key moments,” MSU head coach Suzy Merchant said.

It looked bleak for the Spartans after Wolfpack guard Sharnise Beal put in a jumper with 33 seconds left to take the lead back after DeHaan drained her first layup with 46 seconds left.

“When we hit the shot that put us ahead, I thought we might get it at that point,” North Carolina State head coach Kay Yow said.

DeHaan quickly made another layup with 11 seconds left to regain the lead for good.

Wolfpack guard Shayla Fields turned the ball over with seven seconds left, and had to revert to fouling freshman forward Cetera Washington, who missed the free throw.

MSU junior guard Mia Johnson scored a game-high 17 points. DeHaan blocked five shots, giving her the WNIT block record with 17 blocks in the tournament thus far.

In three previous trips to the WNIT, the Spartans have never made it past the semifinal round. If they win it all, it will be the first championship — WNIT or NCAA — ever for MSU.

“It’s unacceptable not to win,” sophomore center Lauren Aitch said.

MSU will remain at Breslin Center for the WNIT final round at 4 p.m. Saturday against either Marquette or Colorado.

Share and discuss “Spartans advance to WNIT finals after beating North Carolina State” on social media.