Project aims to mix residents, quell future disturbances

A concerned resident dumps a pot of water in a flaming Dumpster that was on fire at Americana Apartments, 1128 Victor St. The fire was reported at 2:09 a.m. Sunday.

Efforts to revitalize the Cedar Village area aren’t being sped up following last weekend’s riot.

East Lansing City Manager Ted Staton said the East Village project is a long-term solution that could prevent events such as Cedar Fest from occurring.

“We would like to mix up the demographics so the people in the area respect it,” Staton said, adding that behavior such as throwing bottles and civil disobedience could be quelled. “Diversifying the mix of students in the area to include more graduate and female students would be beneficial.”

The first phase of the $750 million East Village project would replace housing in the area bordered by Grand River Avenue, Bogue Street, the Red Cedar River and Stoddard Avenue, which wouldn’t intersect the land but is used as a border. A mix of apartments and condominiums targeting students and young professionals could be constructed in the area that now houses the Cedar Village apartments, among others.

Because the area is dominated by undergraduates, residents don’t feel their behavior affects anyone besides like-minded neighbors, said Jim van Ravensway, East Lansing’s director of Planning and Community Development. Adding stores and housing for permanent residents would transform the area from a student haven into a diverse village, he said.

“This kind of environment isn’t conducive to the kind of behavior we saw over the weekend,” van Ravensway said. “People are less likely to do bad behavior in front of people other than their own.”

Although packaging senior Andy Draybuck said events such as Cedar Fest damage MSU’s reputation, he isn’t sure whether he agrees with plans for redeveloping the area.

“It definitely gives the developer and the city more leverage to say it needs to happen,” said Draybuck, who lives in the East Village at 1210 E. Grand River Ave. “For me to agree with the project, I would need to know that students aren’t getting gypped out of prime real estate.”

Theresa Nakata, vice president of marketing and communications for Pierce Education Properties, the project’s developer, declined to comment on Cedar Fest and its relation to the East Village.

Al Zelinka, vice president of RBF Consulting, a California-based group for urban planning, design and construction, said a mix of demographics in an area can affect crime rates.

“Generally speaking, what we have observed is that when you have a mix of demographics and a mix of people who both own and rent, there is a heightened chance a greater level of stability will occur in the neighborhood,” Zelinka said.

Communities also can prevent riotous incidents by working with event participants, Zelinka said.

“Acknowledge that students want to do this, talk about it and legitimize it,” he said. “Legitimize it so students can have their fun but they do it in a constructive fashion.”

Even if the land is changed, it doesn’t guarantee an end to disorderly behavior, East Lansing City Councilmember Kevin Beard said.

“People need to change their mind-set,” Beard said. “We all have to individually say we’re not going to participate in events like this.”

Share and discuss “Project aims to mix residents, quell future disturbances” on social media.