Protein, creatine can supplement a healthy diet

Calorie and carbohydrate intake are key aspects of bodybuilding, but there’s also a lesser known contributor to better muscle definition.

Supplements, namely whey protein and creatine, can aid with nutrient intake and muscle tone, but must be used only in conjunction with powerlifting and proper dieting practices, nutritionists said.

“There are some that physiologically work on muscles — creatine does result in a true increase in muscle mass — and others that have a placebo effect,” said Leslie Bonci, director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. “They work for some people but not for others.”

Students committed to toning their bodies this summer should have a meal every three to four hours and need to take protein before and after workouts, Bonci said.

“The supplement that seems to be the most effective with minimal damages is whey protein, especially the isolate form,” Bonci said.

Students should be aware of possible contaminants that could make their way into common supplements and result in adverse health effects, said Joe Carlson, director of MSU’s Sports and Cardiovascular Nutrition Program.

“The key things are safety and whether or not they’re effective,” Carlson said. “Many aren’t tested by the Food and Drug Administration, so there’s always that chance.”

Supplements that are promoted as steroid replacements, such as human growth hormone, can potentially lead to prostate cancer, said Deborah Wilcox Jamieson, nutritionist at Jamieson Total Health Care Center, 2720 Pleasant Grove Road, in Lansing.

“People have to give their body time for significant change, but aerobic exercise will help the body grow extra fast,” Jamieson said.

Share and discuss “Protein, creatine can supplement a healthy diet” on social media.