Farm bill stalled

Graduate student Tim Boring, right, pours corn seed into a hopper as farm manager Brian Graff holds open the lid. Boring is working on an experiment about corn rootworm and other corn pests. Boring will plant four varieties of corn seed in the same plot to study the results.

The U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly rejected President George W. Bush’s veto of a roughly $307 billion farm bill, but what should have been a stinging defeat for Bush became an embarrassing episode for Democrats. Only hours before the House’s 316-108 vote, Bush had vetoed the five-year measure, saying it was too expensive and gave too much money to wealthy farmers when farm incomes are high. Only hours later, the House voted 316-108 to override the veto, and the Senate had been expected to quickly follow suit.

But action stalled after it was discovered that Congress had omitted a 34-page section of the massive bill when it sent the measure to the White House. That means Bush vetoed a different bill than Congress approved, leaving leaders scrambling to figure out whether it could become law.

Michigan, second only to California in specialty crop production, needs the money for blueberry, apple and asparagus crops, said Jeff Oesterle, president of the Ingham County Farm Bureau. These crops are involved in the farm bill’s new programs to supply 81,000 students in Michigan schools with fresh fruits and vegetables.

If the bill, officially known as the 2008 Food, Conservation and Energy Act, is passed, MSU agriculture and science departments may look forward to more funding for research and nutrition programs.

Brian Graff, farm manager of Agronomy Farm, said one aspect of the project that could be receiving money from the farm bill would be research on bioenergy crops. This includes work with corn, grains, corn stalks and switchgrass in attempts to harvest and use ethanol from the plants.

“It’s exciting, the idea of getting additional expenditures for crops and alternative cropping systems,” said John Hoben, a crop and soil sciences graduate student.

Hoben also said that some government support would be better than none at all.

Another use of the funds would be finding alternative energy and fuel sources.

Krishnamurthy Jayaraman, a chemical engineering and material science professor, said he is researching solar panels to increase efficiency in gathering solar energy, another useful resource in times of high fuel prices.

The farm bill initially passed both the House and the Senate by veto-proof majorities last week, 316-108 and 81-15, respectively.

Despite Bush’s vote against the changes, supporters remain hopeful.

“It is what it is,” said David Schweikhardt, a professor from the Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics. “On the one hand there will be higher tax payer costs with this bill, but on the other hand, with higher food prices, the extra money, especially for nutrition, is needed.”

Schweikhardt said he testified in support of the bill before the House Committee of Agriculture in July 2007.

Local politicians support the bill because of its focus on alternative energy.

“It not only impacts food supply, but also our national security in being independent of overseas oil,” said Sylvia Warner, spokeswoman for U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton.

“Every element of our lives is tied up in how we generate and use energy,” said Warner. “So one of the most important pieces of our future is being able to provide that fuel.”

Other allotments in the farm bill are for food and nutrition programs. Food stamp programs also will see an increase of $7.8 billion dollars.

Dave Carr, director of the Mid-Michigan Food Bank, said the aide the bill could provide would encourage farmers and therefore help the bank support Michigan families better.

“You have to have food to give away,” Carr said. “Someone’s got to grow the food — it gives incentives to farmers. To me it shouldn’t be controversial, it’s just the government’s way of helping people.”

Kristin Moretto, director of the MSU Food Bank, said the bank also could benefit from increased funding.

“We have had an increase in clients, not a huge one, but an increase,” said Moretto. “(The economy) has an impact in the availability of food, and we have to be creative with where else we can get food from to give our clients, and that costs more money.”

Maureen Sorbet, spokeswoman for Michigan’s Department of Human Services, said her department’s food stamp case load was at an all-time high this year, and has more than doubled since the 2000 school year.

“Our clients could benefit from higher food assistance benefit levels because of the cost of food,” Sorbet said.

Matt Williams, deputy press secretary for U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., said the farm bill is poorly worded in saying all of an additional $10 billion dollars is going exclusively to nutrition and food programs.

“In this case nutrition includes food assistance, as well as farmers markets and business,” Williams said. “This includes going into the specialty crops grown in Michigan for school food programs.”

Oesterle said he felt the farm bill didn’t provide for Michigan farming like it should.

“It’s not going to make as much of a difference as a lot of people thought,” said Oesterle.

“But the expansion in customary crops will be a big benefit.”

The farm bill also addresses the Great Lakes, which will receive funding for clean up and conservation of wetlands if the bill is passed.

“Agriculture is Michigan’s second largest industry,” Warner said.

“Whatever the farm bill holds, we just want to make sure it stays vibrant, strong and growing — no pun intended.”

Staff writers Joy Walter and Nich Wolak contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Farm bill stalled” on social media.