House to vote on appropriations bill

Michigan families relying on unemployment insurance could be helped by a bill that will extend benefits by 13 weeks for all states and an additional 13 weeks for states such as Michigan experiencing a high rate of unemployment.

A version of the bipartisan Supplemental Appropriations Bill passed Thursday in the Senate and included the provision for unemployment insurance. U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., helped write the addition.

The bill could be voted on by the U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday. It includes, among other programs, funding for the new GI Bill, support for fair trade and money toward alternative energy research.

Stabenow continued to wait after an attempt to include this provision in February’s economic stimulus bill and a one-vote loss.

“The plan has been out there since its disapproval,” said Brad Carroll, press secretary for Stabenow. “It’s a provision for states that have struggled, like Michigan, in trying to increase jobs or gain freedom from depending so much on oil,” he said.

The unemployment rate in Michigan has decreased from 7.2 to 6.9 percent in the past few months, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Still, Michigan families need the financial help addressed in this provision, Carroll said.

Instead of the past version of unemployment extensions, the new plan will function on a more individual case basis, said Stephen Woodbury, an MSU economics professor and former employee of the U.S. Department of Labor in Washington, D.C.

“The state will be implementing each plan instead of benefits being handled automatically,” he said.

Michael Birchmeier, East Lansing’s budget and accounting administrator, said he didn’t think the East Lansing community specifically had much to gain from the addition to the bill.

“We’ve been really lucky as a city to not have a problem with laying off people or having to provide needed benefits,” Birchmeier said. “But I do appreciate that the federal government wants to do something for those who have.”

Clifton Brown, an electrical engineer and East Lansing resident, said he experienced unemployment for a six-month period five years ago. He said the helpfulness of the bill could be exaggerated by some.

“Though the plan is good overall, people need to know that trying to live off of unemployment insurance is a drop in a bucket,” he said. “It’s really only good for being something to fall back on.”

Some are skeptical of the provision’s value to Michigan’s economy today and the specific plan and layout of the bill.

“It’s puzzling to me that this has to be a part of the appropriations bill when we have trust funds and regular state funds for that,” Woodbury said. “I feel like Congress just wants to be able to say ‘we’re doing something.’”

Other community members agreed.

“It’s not a good move,” said Pamela Snyder, a microbiology junior. “Now people will just rely on the unemployment more, and the rate is only going to increase.”

Snyder said she thought money could be better spent making efforts to promote jobs that are available around Michigan.

East Lansing resident Jody Lewis, a state employee with the Department of Community Health, said while there are some good aspects to the bill, more could be done to help Michigan’s residents.

“The situation is becoming scary, as we’re losing more jobs than we’re gaining back,” Lewis said. “If they could link the unemployment insurance with training programs and reeducation, it would benefit people more.”

Share and discuss “House to vote on appropriations bill” on social media.