New public health master's program to begin this fall

A new public health master’s degree program at MSU is trying to create a promising future in public health care by reversing the shortage of workers in the field. MSU will offer the new program beginning this fall.

“Michigan is in need of more public health workers, but there isn’t enough,” said Anne Rosewarne, president of the Michigan Health Council. “If we don’t take care of this and shortages, we are going to have a disaster on our hands.”

Rosewarne said the program is needed for the current job market.

“Public health has a problem recruiting,” Rosewarne said “There were so many cuts in public health that word on the street was there were no jobs, but in fact there are many.”

There are many public health issues, Rosewarne said, from terrorist attacks to smoking and obesity. With an increasing population, there are more people to take care of, she said.

“In fact, the public health infrastructure is crumbling,” she said.

Kathleen Oberst, who will oversee administrative operations and academic affairs of the new public health program, said the program was developed to address the work shortages.

Oberst said the program is 42 credits, with 18 coursework credits, six of which will be available online. The program also requires 18 elective credits, six of which may be available online, depending on the course. Lastly, the student must complete six credits of practical experience to receive their master’s degree.

Oberst said there are a number of factors as to why there is a shortage of qualified health professionals.

She said there will be a high number of health professionals retiring soon that do not have adequate replacements.

“It’s more of pipeline issue,” Oberst said. “There’s not enough interest and people don’t have formal training.”

Bruce Weaver, an economic analyst of the Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth, or DLEG, said of the various industries in Michigan, health care is the largest sector of the state economy.

Weaver said data collected by the DLEG revealed a 16.2 percent growth rate from 2004 to 2014 for health professionals.

This is well over the average for other jobs, he said.

“All jobs have an average of 7.7 percent expected forecast,” Weaver said.

Weaver also said health care support occupations are expected to grow 19.7 percent from 2004 to 2014.

“This is the single highest growth rate forecast for any occupation,” Weaver said.

Share and discuss “New public health master's program to begin this fall” on social media.