Comcast, BTN sign deal

After nearly a year of deliberation, the Big Ten Network and Comcast Corp. signed an agreement Thursday that will make the network available to Comcast subscribers for the 2008 college football season.

Comcast, the largest cable subscriber in the nation, will launch the network, which features many Big Ten sports, on Aug. 15 for most of the Big Ten region. Iowa does not receive Comcast service.

“I think this is a very important step forward in achieving a goal of broadening the accessibility of Big Ten athletics,” said MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon. “Also broadening the accessibility of the Big Ten brand that goes beyond the field of play and into the classroom.”

The network will be previewed on the expanded basic package until the end of the college basketball season in spring 2009, when Comcast has the option to place the network on a digital tier. Comcast’s digital subscribers also will have immediate access to the network in high definition and Comcast’s video-on-demand service.

“That’s an option,” said John Demming, a spokesman for Comcast. “It’s a possibility in the hometowns where the universities are based, (BTN) possibly could remain on expanded basic. We have flexibility on this carriage.”

Marvin Bowen, a recent hospitality business graduate, said he’s glad the deal is through.

“It kind of sucks that we couldn’t watch any State games all year unless they were on ESPN,” he said.

The Big Ten Network broadcasted four MSU football games last season, leaving many students lacking tickets without a way to watch the games.

“This is an important day in terms of the growth of the Big Ten Network,” said head football coach Mark Dantonio in a press release issued by the university. “I’m delighted for the Spartan nation as more of our passionate fans will have access to the network’s quality programming. In addition, this increased exposure is important from a recruiting standpoint as more prospective student-athletes throughout the state and across the Midwest will experience Spartan football in a way never seen before with the daily in-depth coverage.”

Dan Yonker, a hammer thrower on the MSU track team, said he’s glad the network is finally available to people in the area.

“I just think it’s cool because sports that people don’t get to see a lot of like baseball is on there, softball is on there, soccer is on there, swimming, diving — the teams that don’t get a lot of focus normally, people can see those now, so I think that’s pretty cool,” he said.

Basketball head coach Tom Izzo, who, in the past, called the handling of the deal a “PR nightmare,” said it was exciting news for the fans.

“This is an agreement that benefits all parties. Now, our loyal Spartan fans will enjoy broader access and more information about Michigan State athletics than they’ve ever had before,” Izzo said.

Share and discuss “Comcast, BTN sign deal” on social media.