Higher standards don't create better students

Making students take the same classes with the same requirements should mean everyone gets the same education. But is that really possible?

Four years of math and English and three years of science and social studies are some of the requirements that make Michigan’s standards for high school graduation among the toughest in the country.

These requirements, which Gov. Jennifer Granholm signed into law in 2006, also include one year of physical education and the arts as well as at least one online learning experience. The graduating class of 2011, who finish ninth grade this summer, will be the first students to complete high school under these new standards.

But a standardized curriculum poses more problems than it intends to solve.

The state argues that these requirements reflect what it takes to succeed in a global economy, but the truth is that some students aren’t equipped to handle some of the classes they will inevitably be thrown into.

For students who struggle with math, for example, facing four years of math classes, starting with Algebra I and working their way up, would be a nightmare. With Michigan’s graduation rate as low as 70 percent — sometimes less, depending on where you live — it would be a shame to see more students choosing not to finish high school because they feel they can’t meet these strict expectations.

Students who attend poorly-funded schools could suffer if their teachers aren’t prepared to teach the materials required or if their school district can’t afford to invest in the most up-to-date textbooks. Even students who have the potential to succeed might falter if they can’t get the support they need from their teachers or school district.

Students should have alternatives that would allow them to opt out of classes that don’t apply to their future education or career after high school. A student intending to go to college and later enter a science-related industry might benefit from three years of science and may even choose to take an advanced science class in their fourth year of school.

But a student looking to build a career in the arts should be able to opt out of their fourth year of math and choose a class that would allow them to develop their skills.

Although the new graduation requirements provide for one year of involvement in the arts, it may not be enough for some students. Others, feeling the heavy burden of labor-intensive core classes and jam-packed schedules, may never choose to take an art or music class beyond the requirement, causing the program as a whole to suffer.

High school prepares you for life after graduation. That’s where the plus side of such high standards shines — pushing students to learn as much as they can better prepares them for college. And if everyone enters college with the same background, it levels the playing field.

It’s important to make sure students leave high school competent and knowledgeable so they can be successful in the “real world,” whether that’s college or the job market. But it’s even more important to make sure students don’t crumble under the pressure before graduating.

Share and discuss “Higher standards don't create better students” on social media.