Friday, May 3, 2024

Kennedy skips senior year for NHL

Kennedy

Yet another Spartan icer has decided to leave MSU early to pursue a professional hockey career.

On Sunday, MSU head coach Rick Comley announced that junior forward Tim Kennedy will leave MSU after signing a deal with the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres.

“I’ve loved everything about Michigan State and its hockey program — it has been the best three years of my life,” Kennedy said in a press release. “I will miss everything about it, but I thought it was in my best interest to start my pro career at this time.”

Kennedy is the third Spartan to leave MSU early this year. Former linemate Justin Abdelkader signed with the Detroit Red Wings while sophomore defenseman Michael Ratchuk signed with the Philadelphia Flyers.

After an injury-plagued freshman year, Kennedy burst onto the scene his last two seasons. The Buffalo native played in 113 career games and led the Spartans in scoring with 42 goals and 63 assists.

Kennedy might be best known for his heroics during MSU’s national championship run in the 2006-07 season. Kennedy scored the game-tying goal in the national championship game against Boston College and assisted on Abdelkader’s game-winning goal with only 18 seconds left in regulation.

Kennedy’s impact on the MSU hockey program was immense, and he will be missed, Comley said in a press release.

“We certainly wish Tim Kennedy the best, and thank him for what he has contributed to the program,” he said. “He has been such an important part of our success over the last three seasons, and helped bring a national championship to Michigan State.”

Share and discuss “Kennedy skips senior year for NHL” on social media.