Monday, April 29, 2024

MSU athletes vie for Olympics

Marcus Poteete

Within the next month, two MSU swimmers and one MSU diver will attempt to qualify for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, China.

Senior Marcus Poteete and sophomore Kevin Puskaric, both swimmers, will compete for spots on the U.S. national team at the Olympic trials in Omaha, Neb., while diver Danielle Williams will compete at the Canadian trials in Victoria, British Columbia.

Although MSU swimming and diving head coach Matt Gianiodis doesn’t expect his athletes to qualify for their respective Olympic teams, he believes the experience they’ll achieve from competing at the high level of competition will make them better when they return to school next season.

“I don’t think it’s realistic to expect them to make the team and with the number of professionals who are in the sport,” Gianiodis said.

“It’s a really incredible event and great experience to go out there and compete against the best in the country.”

Throughout their collegiate careers, Poteete and Puskaric have developed into premier swimmers who’ve made huge improvements in their strokes, Gianiodis said.

“Neither of these guys were highly recruited out of high school,” he said. “Now they can both be considered top 60 in their events in the United States.”

Poteete, a native of Santa Cruz, Calif., will compete in the 100-meter butterfly on July 4. His heat will feature tough competition, as he’ll swim against world record-holder Ian Crocker and former world record-holder Michael Phelps.

“Realistically, he’s probably not going to advance,” Gianiodis said. “But since he qualified in the middle of last year, his career has really taken off.

“He’s really become a more well-rounded kid and a great swimmer.”

Poteete, who walked onto MSU’s swimming team as a freshman, has exceeded all expectations throughout his career, statistically becoming one of the best swimmers on the squad.

“My goals were just to improve my times,” Poteete said. “I knew if that happened I could make an impact on the team. I’ve been able to do that and I’m very thankful.”

Puskaric made a big splash as a freshman last season, qualifying for both the 100- and 200-meter breaststroke at the U.S. Olympic trials on July 2.

He also will be facing stiff competition, but acknowledges he swims better in situations where he isn’t expected to do well.

“I’m not really nervous because no one really expects anything, but I expect a lot out of myself because that’s who I am,” the Mokena, Ill., native said. “I just want to get real close to my best time.”

Williams, a senior diver from Dorchester, Ontario, was forced to redshirt last season after incurring a shoulder injury that ensued from a diving accident. She will compete Sunday in the three-meter dive at the Canadian Olympic trials.

“Making it to Olympic trials has been a highlight of my time here at MSU,” she said.

“Having the tough competition experience will be great because it’s my last year and I’m hoping to make it to the NCAA championships next season.”

Share and discuss “MSU athletes vie for Olympics” on social media.