MSU hosts Red Cross blood drive

Physics senior Clayton Rice gives double units of blood at the American Red Cross Blood Drive held at the International Center on Wednesday. Rice’s blood was pumped into a machine and his plasma and platelets as well as saline were returned to his body. Giving double units of blood allows the donor to help two future patients with a single visit to the blood drive.

Taking a small step toward saving someone’s life is what Ahron Barber said makes donating blood important to him.

Barber, an MSU astrophysics senior, completed his eighth blood donation since turning 17, (the minimum age required to donate), Tuesday afternoon at the International Center during the American Red Cross’ first blood drive at MSU in June.

“I can withstand a little poke in order to save a life,” Barber said. “There are people that need blood, who are in more pain than me.”

While turnout was slightly lower than attendance at blood drives held during the fall and spring semesters at MSU, Ann Kammerer, communications specialist for the Great Lakes Region Blood Services, said college student attendance at blood drives is always high, and at MSU it’s no exception.

“The student population plays a major part in the amount of people that donate blood,” Kammerer said. “We like to say MSU bleeds green for us.”

A normal blood donation takes an average of five to 10 minutes, and consists of taking one pint of blood from the donor’s body through a targeted vein in the arm.

The pint of blood donated can then in turn save the lives of up to three people, said Cindy Fitzgerald, a registered nurse for the Red Cross.

“The amount of people donating blood decreases slightly in the summer months due to people traveling and becoming more active,” Fitzgerald said. “(However), the need for blood in the summer also goes up for the same reasons.”

In order to ensure the safety for both the donor and the eventual recipients of the blood, donors must meet certain health requirements before making a donation.

However, many felt that Michigan’s requirement for donors to wait one year after getting a tattoo or body piercing before they can donate their blood could deter potential donors.

Legislation passed in December by Gov. Jennifer Granholm will terminate this law, effective Jan. 1, 2009, and allow those with recent tattoos and piercing to donate blood immediately.

Tattoo and piercing parlors must meet safety standards in 2009 and the blood donation has to take place at a registered and licensed donation center, said Jeb Caudill, spokesman for the Great Lakes Region of the American Red Cross.

“This takes down a barrier of blood donation and will hopefully allow more people to donate their blood,” he said.

“We support anything that can be done that will allow more people to help save lives by donating blood.”

Share and discuss “MSU hosts Red Cross blood drive” on social media.