MSU track star vies for olympics

MSU distance runner Nicole Bush trains Friday morning at Ralph Young Track. She is attempting to qualify for the 2008 Olympic team in the 3,000-meter steeplechase event at the end of June.

All-American runner Nicole Bush is chasing down a dream.

The MSU distance runner is laying it all on the line as she trains for one of the biggest months of her life.

If all goes as expected, Bush will travel to Eugene, Ore., at the end of June to compete in the U.S. Olympic Trials for the 3,000-meter steeplechase, where she’ll battle for a spot on the 2008 Olympic team.

Until then, Bush will continue her strenuous summer training schedule — running 60 miles a week in variable conditions, which often means smoldering summer heat.

“The training in the summer is tough because it’s so hot,” Bush said. “Normally I’m out here all by myself so I have to better myself and always try to improve more than I have before.”

Bush is ranked eighth in the country and second among collegiate runners in the steeplechase by USA Track & Field.

But her seemingly high rankings don’t guarantee the interdisciplinary humanities senior an invite to the games because only a few people qualify and the steeplechase is an unorthodox event where anything can happen, Bush said.

“It’s a track race but we are constantly jumping over something,” she said. “The water hazard is tough because sometimes you can’t jump over it in one fluid motion.”

The track consists of five obstacles — four large hurdles that are bolted into the track and one water hazard, which is a much larger hurdle with water awaiting the runner when they jump over it.

Walter Drenth, the director of both MSU track and field and cross country, has very high expectations for Bush at the upcoming trials.

“We expect that she will make the final for sure, and give herself a shot to make the Olympic team,” he said. “There are excellent people with a few more years experience, but she’s got the talent. With the progress she’s making, I think she has a legitimate shot at being right in there.

“She will do what she always does and compete really well.”

During his two years at MSU, Drenth said he’s watched Bush develop into one of the most dominant collegiate distance runners in the country. He’s praised her for staying motivated and maintaining a high work ethic.

“Nicole is making the progress we knew she could, and aside from what she does on the track, her value to our team has been phenomenal,” Drenth said. “What she does off the track with her leadership has been very important to everyone.”

Bush has four All-American honors — more than any other woman runner in MSU history — and still has eligibility for one more season of cross country.

During her career at Kelloggsville High School in Grand Rapids, Bush won many awards, including team MVP for four straight seasons.

She also won the individual state championship in cross country for two straight seasons and set the state record in the 3,200-meter run all four years.

With such an impressive resume, Bush could have gone to numerous schools across the nation. But the Wyoming, Mich., native decided to stay in state and attend MSU.

“The coaches have helped me with issues that I might not have noticed by myself,” Bush said. “The people are really what I love about MSU, and I don’t think going anywhere else could have put me in a position like I’m in now.”

Share and discuss “MSU track star vies for olympics” on social media.