Monday, April 29, 2024

Power outages making storms an inconvenience

When Chris Bryner saw the dark clouds rolling into East Lansing on Sunday, the first thing he thought about was climbing onto the roof of CVS Pharmacy, 240 M.A.C. Ave., where he would have a front row seat to watch the storm.

Massive tree branches scattered the lawn of the Union late Sunday afternoon after heavy rains and winds ripped through East Lansing moments earlier in the day. Segments of fallen trees covered sidewalks on Abbot Road and littered the lawns of several houses from Burcham Drive to Bailey Street.

Although he decided against his original idea, Bryner still watched the storm from outside. He said he has always been intrigued by severe weather and tornadoes in general.

“It is always a little scary watching a severe storm, but that’s part of the adrenaline rush,” Bryner said. “They are so fascinating to me, and I always feel like I have to see them firsthand rather than on TV.”

While other East Lansing residents and MSU students may not have been quite as adventurous, many found the threatening weather inconvenient and unpredictable. Stop lights on Albert Avenue and at the intersection of M.A.C. and Grand River avenues lost power, leading to four-way stops and causing confusion between motorists.

“One minute it was nice and warm outside, and then next thing I knew the sky was black and the rain was just pouring down,” said Ali Scott, a communication senior.

Scott, also an employee at Steve & Barry’s, 515 E. Grand River Ave., said everyone in the store had to go to the basement to take cover while the storm passed.

“The wind was so strong it blew our doors wide open … no one should have been outside during that,” she said.

With heavy rains and tornado watches in effect, a feeling of uncertainty is what one student said was what scared her the most.

“I don’t have a TV or a computer this summer so I had no idea really what was going on,” said Ahlam Mohsen, an anthropology junior. “I hid under my bed covers and called my best friend because I was so scared.”

More fallen branches and tree limbs cluttered the lawn of Holmes Hall, and several other dormitories along Shaw Lane, but it was the power outages and unavailability of Internet that upset MSU students most.

“I was in the middle of taking a quiz online for my summer class, and when the storm hit and my Internet went down,” said Benita Lotkhamnga, an advertising junior. “That really sucked, and I also started to worry about how dangerous the storm was really going to be.”

Elizabeth Thilbin, a kinesiology junior, said she was frustrated by the power outages that caused some East Lansing businesses on Grand River Avenue to close Sunday afternoon.

“I came onto Grand River to try and find something to eat for dinner, but a lot of places are closed right now from the storm,” she said.

Due to the chain of serious storms over the weekend, the Sunday afternoon disturbance was taken more lightly than the pervious storms as students adjusted to the unusual weather.

“This time it was easy to stay calm,” said Rory Lyde, a landscape architecture junior. “Since weather like this has come and gone for three days now, and nothing has really happened around here, I figured it wasn’t going to be anything serious this time around.”

Share and discuss “Power outages making storms an inconvenience” on social media.