Professors weigh disadvantages of laptop use by students in class

They can be a useful way to take and organize notes, or they can be a distraction used to surf the Internet, but many professors are split on how to deal with laptops in the classroom.

African history associate professor Peter Alegi said most of the problem arises in larger classes when students feel they aren’t being watched as closely.

“What they’re doing is they are either reading newspapers online, or updating their Facebook, or seeing what the latest downloads that are available are and things of that nature,” Alegi said. “So I find that most times students who are using laptops actively in class actually aren’t following class at all.”

Telecommunication, information studies and media senior Mike Wood said he no longer uses his laptop because he often gets distracted, and instead uses regular paper and pen.

“I’d sit online, check e-mail, all that kind of stuff,” Wood said. “It’s easier to take notes without a laptop.”

But students getting distracted in class isn’t new, Alegi said, it is just much easier now.

“You really can do so many different things with your laptop,” Alegi said. “You can be checking ANGEL pages for your other courses. Is that a useful use of students’ time? In some ways it is, but you’re not really paying attention in the class you’re in.”

The problem, Alegi said, is how to police laptop use in classes.

Natalie G. Olinghouse, a teacher education assistant professor, bans the use of laptops from her classes unless students use them for taking notes.

“I let students know if I find them using their laptop for non-classroom purposes, they won’t be able to bring it, so e-mail, IMing, surfing the Web, crossword puzzles, Sudoku — any of those I forbid,” Olinghouse said.

Being up front about the issue prevents her from having to deal with a lot of issues, she said.

“When you come to class it’s about class and not about anything else, part of that is just setting a tone for what the class structure is going to be,” Olinghouse said.

The issue of laptops in class means professors need to adapt to new times, said Roger Bresnahan, a professor of writing, rhetoric and American culture.

“It’s not the same kind of teaching,” Bresnahan said. “I think that faculty have to adapt to new ways, new technologies, and lighten up a little.”

He said in his writing courses he tries to get at least one day a week in a computer lab.

“The advantage in a writing class with a laptop is people can send drafts to each other, and they can edit online,” Bresnahan said.

While all of that can be done in a conventional classroom, he said, editing over the Web eliminates the ego from editing.

“People can make suggestions online and you’re a little more distanced from it, and you might say that was a good idea,” Bresnahan said.

Share and discuss “Professors weigh disadvantages of laptop use by students in class” on social media.