Studio could give students jobs

Recording Engineer and 2007 MSU graduate Phil DeTolve edits a song at Harvest Music + Sound Design, 1011 N. Washington Ave. in Lansing. DeTolve said he is excited to be a part of the sound development process of City Center Studios because it will give him the opportunity to work with sound in films.

Photo by Nick Dentamaro | The State News

Collin Porteus planned on moving to California after graduation, but after developers and Lansing city officials announced the creation of a new film studio in downtown Lansing last week, he’s not feeling the same rush to leave the state.

“The opportunity for experience is much closer,” said Porteus, a telecommunication, information studies and media and film studies junior, and member of the MSU FilmMakers Club. “Having it close will be a huge advantage to anyone in the field.”

East Lansing’s Gillespie Group and Lansing film production firm Ahptic Film & Digital are partners in the project that will produce City Center Studios.

The $9 million studio will include a 71,000 square-foot studio facility, including twin 24,000 square-foot soundstages.

Steve Curran, co-owner of Harvest Music + Sound Design, 1011 N. Washington Ave. in Lansing, said Harvest has been consulting on the audio portion of City Center Studios and also will be working in the audio and video post-production aspects of the facility.

Curran said Harvest works on original music, sound design, automated dialogue replacement, Foley sound effects, radio, TV and music.

He said the main reason to open the studio is because of the tax incentive that was passed in April, which gives film studios up to a 42 percent refundable tax rebate or cash rebate on production expenses in the state.

“It’s the reason everyone is jumping on the ship. What’s happening in those states will happen in Michigan,” Curran said, referring to other states with similar incentives.

Those in the film industry say MSU students could see more opportunities after the studio has been built.

Harvest hires student interns from MSU and Lansing Community College every semester, Curran said.

After completing an internship at Harvest in spring 2007, Phil DeTolve, a 2007 MSU graduate, was hired by the company as a recording engineer.

The film studio will attract students in all aspects of the industry, and DeTolve said he’s hoping MSU students could benefit from the studio by receiving internships or jobs in the area.

“Even if it’s not an opportunity for a full-time job, it’s an opportunity to learn,” said DeTolve, who graduated from MSU with degrees in telecommunication, information studies and media and music.

“It’s really exciting for any students interested in the field.”

DeTolve said he is excited about the studio because he will be working on sound not only for commercials, but for feature films.

Since the studio is in its preliminary stages, he said he does not know if he will be working closely on projects going on at the studio, but he said it’s an ideal opportunity for the city because the studio will have equipment to shoot and edit films.

Porteus said he will definitely look into the studio for job opportunities as he nears graduation.

“It’s one more thing for students to get some hands-on experience,” he said.

“It’s a good thing that will be very beneficial for people, myself included.”

Share and discuss “Studio could give students jobs” on social media.