E.L. officials, students disagree with pant rule

MSU students and local police say fining people for wearing their pants too low should be at the tail end of police officers’ duties.

Flint police Chief David R. Dicks announced June 26 that officers will start arresting people who are wearing pants or shorts below their buttocks — a move that local police and MSU students say seems to be more in line with duties of the fashion police.

According to The Flint Journal, anyone arrested for sagging their pants to the point where their rear end is showing will face misdemeanor charges that would result in a $500 fine and up to 90 days in jail. The arrests or fines would be made under the city’s disorderly person ordinance.

“It’s one of the most unusual things I’ve ever heard,” said East Lansing police Chief Tom Wibert. “To outlaw a certain fashion or style of pants would be really unusual.”

As a university community, East Lansing is home to a diverse group of people with diverse styles of dress.

“The residents are pretty receptive of all kinds of dress,” he said. “We’ve seen it all.”

Wibert said the local Flint government would have to enact a law for the police to make lawful arrests against sagging pants.

“I can’t imagine these types of arrests standing up in court,” he said.

Indecent exposure arrests are not common in East Lansing, but Wibert said he doesn’t believe sagging pants would fit that criteria.

The police department commonly makes urinating-in-public arrests, and people are charged for urinating in public — not for indecent exposure.

MSU students said the Flint police chief may be using this as a bottomless tool to stop suspicious people.

“I would think if anything that they would be using it for leading into other charges,” said Michael Davidson, a professional writing senior.

“If you’re not wearing boxers, I guess it’s indecent exposure,” he added. “If you’re wearing boxers it’s ridiculous. It’s fashion police almost literally.”

Another MSU student felt the Flint Police Department is spending less time on the crimes plaguing the city.

“I’ve spent a bit of time in Flint and I don’t think this will follow through,” said Peter Rea, an economics senior.

“I think it’s going to be hard to enforce because they don’t even stop you for speeding. They have their hands full.”

Share and discuss “E.L. officials, students disagree with pant rule” on social media.