Sunday, April 28, 2024

Kilpatrick's actions hurt Detroit's image

Keiara Tenant

I was always a die-hard supporter of Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. When people questioned his ability to run Detroit because of his young age, I knew that someday he would prove them wrong.

I can remember watching Kilpatrick debate his opponents and give his State of the City speeches, and I was so impressed with the way he carried himself. I admired his intelligence, the way he spoke his mind without worrying what others would think and how he handled himself under pressure.

When investigative reporters hounded Kilpatrick about the party at the Manoogian Mansion and the Cadillac Escalade that he purchased with taxpayers’ dollars, I just saw those things as tactics aimed at tarnishing his reputation.

It didn’t matter what the media said or how they negatively portrayed Kilpatrick, I honestly thought he was going to be the mayor to turn Detroit around. And he did — but of course it wasn’t the way I imagined it.

The text message scandal was what brought me to the realization that 10 years from now, Kilpatrick won’t be the mayor credited with reviving the Motor City. Although he’s done some good things in office, like helping to rebuild downtown Detroit, those things could never erase the dark cloud he’ll leave hanging over Detroit when he’s no longer the mayor.

It’s understandable that Kilpatrick is frustrated with the way things have unfolded, but he has no one to blame but himself. He’s losing his composure, and it’s beginning to show — especially through his most recent behavior.

On Friday, Kilpatrick sat in court with his hand on his head after witnesses testified that he assaulted a law enforcement officer when the officer and an investigator came to his sister’s home to serve the mayor’s friend with court papers. It was said that Kilpatrick shoved the Wayne County sheriff’s deputy, used profanity and made racially charged remarks.

Although I’m upset with the way Kilpatrick behaved, I’m more upset with the punishment he received. Under state law, assaulting a officer trying to serve court papers is a felony that could amount to two years of prison time and a $2,000 fine.

If the common person behaved the way Kilpatrick did, they’d probably be sitting in a jail cell right now, but Kilpatrick gets away with a little more than a slap on the wrist.

Judge Ronald Giles never disclosed why the mayor’s only punishment was a $7,500 bond, random drug tests and new restrictions on his personal and business travel, but it should have been a lot worse.

Maybe Kilpatrick’s position as the mayor was reason enough for the judge to let him walk free, but I find it hard to believe that Kilpatrick is doing anything that pertains to that role under these circumstances. The court should show Kilpatrick no sympathy. He should suffer the consequences any other person would if they were to treat an officer the way he did.

Kilpatrick should be on his best behavior, because as a public figure any little mistake can only make matters worse.

The most honorable move Kilpatrick can make at this point is step down as the mayor of Detroit. He might feel that he has something to prove to everyone, but if he really cared about Detroit, he would make decisions with the city’s best interest in mind. His refusal to resign is petty and selfish.

Detroit is the largest city in Michigan and, therefore, is a reflection of Michigan, so when Kilpatrick looks bad so does Detroit and possibly the state. The Michigan economy is in bad shape as is, and these numerous Kilpatrick scandals shed a bad light on it and can make people skeptical about doing business in Michigan. After not publicly speaking much about the issues surrounding Kilpatrick, it was a relief to hear Gov. Jennifer Granholm announce Monday that his hearing is scheduled for Sept. 3. Maybe then the city will begin to move past these problems.

Kilpatrick has let down his family and the city. He is a poor representation of what Michigan has to offer, and as long as he is in office, things can only get worse for Detroit and the state.

Keiara Tenant is the State News opinion writer. Reach her at tennan10@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Kilpatrick's actions hurt Detroit's image” on social media.