Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Police want residents to keep laptops safe, out of sight

The East Lansing Police Department is encouraging residents to keep laptop computers out of plain view as a result of an increase in laptop thefts around the city.

Stolen property becomes a more prevalent issue in the hot summer months, said East Lansing police Sgt. Carl Nowak.

“When it’s nice out, people don’t lock their doors and leave their windows open,” Nowak said.

Laptop computers are an item that are rarely recovered once stolen, according to the ELPD. The exact number of laptops stolen this summer is not known, Nowak said.

Securing the laptop while a resident is away from the home is especially important, Nowak said, as well as putting a laptop in a place where it is not easily accessible to others.

“If you’re away on vacation, either put it in a safe or give it to a friend or relative,” Nowak said. “Be sure to lock your doors and windows.”

MSU alumna Rachel Jones said that unless a laptop is especially expensive or the owner of the computer feels uncomfortable leaving it behind, giving a laptop to a friend while on vacation is unnecessary.

“That’s a little ridiculous,” Jones said. “I probably wouldn’t (give it to a friend).”

Whether the laptops are being stolen mostly from residences where students live is unclear, Nowak said.

MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said that while laptop theft is on the rise in the city, the number is down on campus.

McGlothian-Taylor said that compared to January through May, the number of laptop thefts from May until present has been cut in half.

The lack of laptops stolen relates to the amount of students on campus during the summer, McGlothian-Taylor said.

“It’s unfortunate that some habits of not locking doors continue for students who live off campus,” McGlothian-Taylor said. “It could also happen in areas such as restaurants with wireless Internet.”

Jones said that living on upper levels of buildings in the area as well as having roommates who were responsible probably helped deter theft during her time at MSU.

“Our house was fairly safe the whole time,” Jones said. “My roommates were pretty good about having our doors locked.”

Jones said that she does not lock her laptop to the desk or avoid opening windows because of the risk of it being stolen.

“I wouldn’t, but if someone was scared they might,” she said.

Residents who see suspicious activity in the neighborhood that could be related to theft are asked to call the ELPD non-emergency hotline at (517) 351-4220.

Share and discuss “Police want residents to keep laptops safe, out of sight” on social media.