Students, faculty juggle work, personal life

Cell phones, e-mail, research — just some of the pressures facing students and faculty outside of class and personal life.

Ellen Ernst Kossek, a labor and industrial relations professor, said there is a lot of pressure to work all the time and seamlessly work in family life.

Kossek, who coauthored a book, “CEO of Me: Creating a Life that Works in the Flexible Job Age,” said juggling four children and being a professor can get tough, especially being constantly accessible through e-mail and her cell phone.

“I think people are blurring the boundaries so much,” Kossek said.

“Even students have to check e-mail, Facebook, and deal with friends. Mine isn’t so much pressure from work, it’s people e-mailing me from China and the pressure is there to send back, otherwise it will look bad on MSU.”

“Even though we have the flexibility, now it’s a double-edged sword,” Kossek said. “On one hand we’re better able to serve students … but I think allowing to say e-mail me or call my cell can be stressful.”

Kirsten Fermaglich, a history associate professor, said she was pregnant while she was writing a book, and both her book and baby had the same due date.

“As I was finishing my manuscript I was having contractions 15 minutes apart,” Fermaglich said.

“I called my editor … to just let you know I’m having contractions, and she said, ‘Well what are talking to me for? Get off the phone and finish.’”

Even finding time to do research is difficult, said Fermaglich, who is taking a year off to conduct research trips.

“I wake up at 6:30 and I don’t start working until 10. I wake up, I have to get everything ready, I have to walk the dog, I have to get everybody to school,” Fermaglich said. “So (my husband and I) changed our schedule and we tried to trade off … so I wasn’t being saddled with the responsibilities every morning and every afternoon because that’s a lot of care.”

For students, juggling classes and a part-time job can be tough as well, Kossek said.

Sam Vitale, a recent English graduate, said his cell phone can be bothersome while at work.

“I usually don’t answer it if someone calls, especially at work because I can’t answer my phone at work and I get a lot of phone calls,” Vitale said.

Vitale, who now works for the MSU Alumni Association, said it’s tough to juggle class and work.

“But, if you work for the university they’re pretty good about balancing your schedule,” Vitale said.

The key to relieving stress is separating work and personal life, Kossek said.

“You think multitasking is saving time, but in the long run it takes longer,” Kossek said.

Share and discuss “Students, faculty juggle work, personal life” on social media.