McCain selects Palin as running mate

Alaska's governor could become first female vice president in U.S. history

Republican presidential candidate John McCain ended all speculation but sparked widespread eyebrow raising by naming Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate Friday.

McCain, who had been rumored to be considering people such as Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty or former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, surprised many with his Palin pick. But Carrie White, chairwoman of MSU Students for John McCain, said the shock is a positive.

“I think it surprised a lot of people, but I think it was a really, really good choice. It’s an exciting choice,” White said. “I think in a lot of ways it steals the (Democratic presidential candidate Barack) Obama mantra of change out of his hands and makes the Obama campaign look at how they’re targeting McCain in different ways.”

While Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama made a “safe” choice with Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., as his running mate, McCain’s selection invites more water cooler debate — and it could pay off for McCain.

“This is a little riskier, but on the other hand it brings back into play one of the major issues in the Democratic race, and that’s gender,” said Douglas Roberts, director of the Institute for Public Policy and Social Research and a presidential politics expert. “It makes it a little more difficult for Democrats to attack her really hard because it will appear they still havent gotten over Sen. (Hillary) Clinton.”

Roberts said the move could bring in what used to be called the “soccer mom vote,” but he also said the Palin pick could be puzzling because Alaska carries three electoral votes.

Still, Palin represents a more conservative side of the Republican party than the self-titled “Maverick” McCain, which could help solidify the party behind McCain. The first-term governor favors drilling for oil in Alaska, something McCain opposes.

She is also a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, believes marriage should be between a man and a woman, and is an anti-abortion and capital punishment advocate, according to www.palinforgovernor.com.

Share and discuss “McCain selects Palin as running mate” on social media.