Spartans down to wire in search for starting goalkeeper

Avery Steinlage

With the departure of goalkeeper Chris Austin, the MSU men’s soccer team was left with a vacancy in net.

This causes a problem for head coach Joe Baum because the two leading candidates competing for the starting spot have never made an appearance in a game for the Spartans.

Baum said the starting spot has been narrowed to two players — sophomore Avery Steinlage and redshirt freshman Jeremy Clark. In Saturday’s 2-1 loss against Louisville, the goalkeepers split the time, just as they did for all of MSU’s spring games.

“Both guys were very solid in the spring and I thought they were very solid again (on Saturday),” Baum said.

“I’m very pleased and surprised that they’ve been so reliable.”

Baum said he wants to see one of the goalkeepers emerge as the starter this week and he thinks a key area that needs work is communication with the veteran players on the team.

“Both need to work on managing the penalty box,” he said. “Sometimes, when you haven’t started, it’s hard to step in and tell the guys who’ve been starting for two or three years what to do. The fact that they are young doesn’t change the responsibility of the job.”

After serving as a goalkeeper in his playing career at MSU, Baum realizes how much responsibility the netminder holds for the entire team.

“If you get reliable goalkeeping, the team’s confidence stays high, the team stays spirited and the team stays aggressive,” he said. “If you give up a soft goal that pulls the spirit of the team down. It all really can come down to one guy.”

Steinlage has tapped into Baum’s goalkeeping expertise and credits his coach for helping him develop his game.

“It’s always nice to have a coach that knows the position,” he said.

“They’re a little more understanding, (and give) a little more input and feedback than someone who just says ‘goalies, go do your thing.’ It’s nice to have a guy who knows what he’s doing.”

Clark said he has worked hard to increase his strength in the offseason and has taken Baum’s advice to try and improve his communication skills.

“I’ve been working to be a more positive person,” Clark said.

“My main goal is just to start, but the ultimate goal is to get some trophies for the showcase.”

Baum says he will decide Wednesday who will get the starting nod for this season’s kickoff before the Spartans host St. Francis (Pa.) at 5 p.m. Friday in the MSU/Radisson Fall Classic in the first game at DeMartin Soccer Complex. MSU also will host Vermont on Sunday.

“One of the guys will be ready,” Baum said.

“I honestly believe both could be ready, but we just have to make sure that one of them is a little readier.”

Share and discuss “Spartans down to wire in search for starting goalkeeper” on social media.