Monday, April 29, 2024

Animal science grad students, staff show research at forum

Animal science graduate students and researchers had their chance to shine and present their work Friday.

The third annual Animal Science Graduate Student Research Forum gave students and staff the opportunity to present research and interact with each other and faculty, said Lindsey De Vries, a graduate student in animal science and one of the organizers.

The event featured oral presentations by the researchers as well as poster presentations on topics ranging from immunology to animal nutrition, she said.

“The big thing is really to provide an opportunity for interaction with faculty and grad students,” De Vries said. “It gives grad students a change to show everyone what we’re doing when we’re hiding in our labs.”

There were 23 presenters, about the same number as last year, De Vries said.

The oral presentations were about 20 minutes long with the opportunity for the audience to ask questions. The poster presentations allowed a chance for the researchers to mingle and check out others research, said Taylor Tenlen, a graduate student in animal science and a member of the organizing committee.

“It’s a good opportunity to present data and see what everyone is doing,” said Ramon Rodriguez, a visiting scholar and one of the presenters.

Planning for the event began around May. Those who wished to present had to submit a copy of their abstract and a summary of their research to a committee made up of De Vries, Tenlen and Dr. Robert Tempelman, their faculty adviser, De Vries said.

The turnout was good, with people filtering in and out, said Dr. Karen Plaut, the animal science department chairperson.

Share and discuss “Animal science grad students, staff show research at forum” on social media.