Assistant professor benefits from plant researcher's tutelage

Changcheng Xu, a research assistant professor in biochemistry and molecular biology, works to make a crossbreed of two Arabidopsis plants in a lab Thursday in the Biochemistry Building. Xu said he was working on these specific plants because it is easy to get a mutant plant from them.

Photo by Angeli Wright | The State News

Christoph Benning’s research of plant components used for biofuel and scores of other areas has earned the professor a spot among the field’s elite.

Benning, a professor in the MSU Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, is known internationally for his research, but he said another researcher could soon take on a laboratory role similar to his.

Changcheng Xu, a research assistant professor of biochemistry and molecular biology, works in Benning’s laboratory and has established himself as a resident expert.

“At a university like Michigan State, research is as important as teaching, and to have people like Christoph Benning, who is so successful at research, is critically important for our future,” said Thomas Sharkey, chairman for the department.

Each day, Benning receives applications from students and scientists across the world — all hoping a little something extra on their résumé will set them apart from the competition and secure a laboratory position.

“What happens all the time, people every day — today and yesterday — send me applications to work with me in my laboratory and 99 percent of the time I have to say no,” Benning said.

Xu wasn’t in that 99 percent.

He read Benning’s articles about biosynthesis and the functions of photosynthetic membrane lipids before sending an application to Benning.

Articles Xu produced while studying in China and Korea stood out to Benning, who thought his scientific background would complement ongoing projects in the lab.

“I took a chance and hired him after we talked on the phone,” Benning said. “He turned out to be a very brilliant scientist who discovered a lot of great things.”

The position gave Xu an opportunity to work with one of the leading scientists in his field — using a Arabidopsis flowering plant to study plant lipids.

“I was very excited because I had the opportunity to work on something that I was really interested in in such a famous lab,” Xu said.

Benning began teaching Xu how to map genes soon after arriving at MSU.

Eight years later, Xu has become a “super expert at mapping genes.”

“He’s ready to start his own lab,” Benning said.

Share and discuss “Assistant professor benefits from plant researcher's tutelage” on social media.