Event sparks recycling awareness

A city of East Lansing recycling bin sits along the curb on Orchard Street Tuesday morning before it’s picked up.

A recycling event at the Union is raising students’ awareness about options they have in the East Lansing area.

“The main impetus is to take advantage of what we already have — a great recycling program,” said Olivia Cohn, a political theory and constitutional democracy senior and MSU chapter member of the Roosevelt Institution, which co-sponsored the event.

The awareness event began Tuesday and continues today in the Union’s Lake Erie Room.

It’s a collaboration among East Lansing Reducing Our Waste, the MSU Office of Recycling and Waste Management and the MSU chapter of the Roosevelt Institution. The Roosevelt Institution is a nationwide student think tank for public policy issues.

One of the main goals of the two-day event has been to let off-campus students know about the curbside recycling program provided by the city of East Lansing, Cohn said.

Curbside bins will be available for off-campus students to pick up at no charge, said Dave Smith, an environmental specialist for the city of East Lansing.

“We just want (students) to be aware of all of the opportunities that they have, information on green living in the area and products they can purchase,” Smith said.

The bins usually cost about $5, but a donation by East Lansing Project Pride covered the cost, Smith said.

Students who want to pick up bins and aren’t able to stop by the Union today can pick up the bins at the city’s Public Works office, 1800 E. State Road, Smith said.

Students who live off campus in single-family homes, rental homes, apartment complexes with 20 units or less or a residence at a busy intersection that prohibits a truck from stopping are eligible.

International relations junior and institution member Cory Connolly said the bins make recycling simpler for students.

“It’s easier for students to recycle off campus,” Connolly said. “Students don’t know where to take it, so they take it to the dorms.”

Share and discuss “Event sparks recycling awareness” on social media.