First lady surprises Mich. Republican delegation

Minneapolis — When first lady Laura Bush walked into a ballroom at the Northland Inn on Tuesday morning, the surprised Michigan Delegation and guests rose to their feet with an eruption of applause.

The delegation was unaware of Bush’s visit before she arrived, largely because she had just confirmed plans to attend earlier that morning, Michigan Republican Party Chairman Saul Anuzis said.

“I think it shows the importance that Michigan is going to have,” Anuzis said after the breakfast.

Bush was asked to attend the breakfast once organizers realized Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour would not be able to appear.

Speaking for a few minutes about Michigan being a major player in the November election, Bush encouraged the delegation to rally behind presumptive Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

“Michigan can be the Ohio of this time,” she said. “Michigan can be the state that carries the ticket for us, that carries the election for us.”

Judy Buchholtz, a member of the 12th District Republican state committee, was visibly excited when it was announced Bush was walking through the door.

“She is a wonderful example of what our young people can be proud to achieve, and she is a wonderful representative of the United States across the world,” Buchholtz said.

She added that she felt it was important for Bush to visit the Michigan Delegation.

“Michigan is going to be one of the key states, so we want everyone to take notice of Michigan and to show that we’re all here trying to work hard for John McCain and Sarah Palin,” she said.

Share and discuss “First lady surprises Mich. Republican delegation” on social media.